Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I know the subject of suspensions i.e springs, shocks etc has been covered ad nauseum, but I wanted to know if anyone has found a good suspension setup that doesn't lower the car. The roads here in denver have gotten so bad in spots that I bottom out with the factory ride heigth. I appreciate any comments or feedback.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's likely that if you are on the original springs they are sagging in the front. My 1991 Spider was bottoming out until my mechanic pointed out that the front was about an inch low due to the tired springs. I think there are even spacers available to correct this problem and restore the ride height.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I put racing suspension in but had to shim up the front for NYC roads. I did however find you can over shim the front and when you hit one of these evil bumps, you hit the suspension stops (what ever they're called) and it's very hard on the spine and the car. But there are shims to put in the front that are for the correct height so that you avoid bottoming out whatever suspensioj you chose.

Good luck :)

Sarah.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sarah is right; the best thing to do thought if you suspect your springs are shot is to replace them. IAP sells their progressive rate springs pretty cheap. I would go with that.

Sarah, you have to tell your co-worker that you won the car in a Pepperidge farm sweepstakes;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Another thing worth checking is your motor mounts. if they are shot you could be an inch or more low with the motor.

Often you can go to better springs and swap out motor mounts for new and not lose any clearance.

mounts are cheaper than an oil pan and lots less hassle than dumping 7 quarts of oil on the road!!

jf

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Excellent point about checking your engine mounts. The right mount especially tends to sag . . . . and there's an awful lot of 60-70s Alfas out there with shot motor mounts.

I just replaced mine and the difference was significant.

www.linearossausa.com has an excellent sale price on them now . . . $49 a set. Easy to replace with the engine in-situ.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Well I wouldn't exactly say easy! Driver's side is pretty easy, for me, doing the passenger side was a major PIA. At least on my 92 with all the FI stuff.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
RT, can you provide instructions or a link, for changing the motor mounts? I purchased one of Linea Rossa's sets. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Kai:
There's really nothing technically difficult about this job. Its really an issue of access. I used a floor jack with a 2X4 (tubafor) on the oil pan to lift the engine enough to take the pressure off the mounts.
Its only a few bolts on each mount.

John

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Thanks John & JF,

I thought this would be a pretty basic procedure, but I wanted to make sure. Anyone know the torgue settings for the motor mount bolts? I haven't checked the manuals yet.

Getting to my intake side motor mount should be easy enough. I may attempt this sooner than I had planned. Originally I planned to replace the mounts when I rebuild the extra set of webers I have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts