Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ZUNIGE recommended i get performance springs since i bottom out a lot in manhattan. just wanted to get a recommendation for which one i should buy. thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the same problem with my Spider. I bought the springs from IAP> The red ones. The car rides much more stable and confident. AND against the meanest potholes and Dips. No bottoming out. It really improves the feel of the car. I would say a definite improvement, and a must have on a Spider.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i need this too for LA

i dont however want to ride lower. my mechanic recommended shims that were used for quads (i have a hard top. heavy) in the rear.

i recently bottomed out so hard in manhattan beach that my engine-mounts snapped and the oilcap made a nasty dent in the hood and flaked the paint

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I have H&R springs on my MB 560SEC. They are wonderful. As far as I can see though, they do not offer springs for spiders. The only thing listed are wheel spacers: http://www.hrsprings.com/site/index.html

I think you need to think in terms of the whole package (ie shocks & springs & bushings). For my GTV, I have centerline yellow springs with no spacers or rubber cups and Billstein reds in the front and yellow springs with no rubber cups and Konis in the rear. This lowered my car significantly with a stiffer but only a marginally harsher ride. To maintain ride height, use the cups and spacers. The spacers come in different sizes so you should be able to get whatever height you want. If you like the look of the stock height then stick with it. If you are worried about clearances, the stiffer springs will provide much more protection than the stock ones. And there is no comparison in handling. I also have a stock spider which I love but the GTV is way more fun at any speed than the spider. I will be upgrading when I get the chance. I have not but a lot of guys also change out bushings to urethane units and this too is a big improvement.

Lots and lots of discuss exists on suspension - use the search engine if you dare! Beware: This seems to generate the most flame posts of any topic...

·
Premium Member
13,473 Posts
I have Vick Auto springs in my Spider. I think that they are the same as IAP only a bit cheaper. I have also removed the spring shims and fitted a deeper, right side spring pan on the left side. The car is lower but it does not hit speed bumps. I can drive over roads that beat up the underside of my Milano which has normal ride height + Koni yellows.
I think that stiffer springs are definitely a good investment. I have standard shocks on the spider and 205 Falken tires on 6J/14 rims. The handling is pretty good. Adjustable top suspension arms enabled me to dial in a little negative camber which also seemed to make a good improvement.
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
88 Verde

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alfa Tech - Lowering Spider Questions

Recently purchased '83 Veloce, on major budget due to other projects. I am used to tweeking Mcpherson strut front ends & not sure how this will respond to lowering. If I put say IAP reds on my '83 veloce:

- They say it lowers less than an inch, mine seems nose high & understeers, do they lower more in the front than the back?
- What front camber would I end up with?
- I would like to end up with say 1 deg +/- neg in front & obviously 0 in rear (solid axle), what is cheapest way to adjust after I go down?
- Are there any hidden suprises or can I just put on the springs and not spend more? (retain shocks, etc for now)

PS some great threads, learned a lot & only been reading about 2 weeks.

Matt

·
Registered
56 Posts
i dont however want to ride lower. my mechanic recommended shims that were used for quads (i have a hard top. heavy) in the rear.
I talked to the guy at IAP, and he didn't recommend the red springs for quads, because of the weight/shim issue. Says the back rides too low. However, I would be interrested to hear about others with Quads who have done this kind of mod.

After driving a pickup truck for the last 10 years, it is hard to imagine riding lower.

i recently bottomed out so hard in manhattan beach that my engine-mounts snapped and the oilcap made a nasty dent in the hood and flaked the paint
I have been trying to figure out how my hood got that dent! I have only had my spider for about a month, and the car had been garaged by its previous owner, but that ONE SPOT has some rust on it. It must have happened a long time ago, because the motor mounts were in need when I got the car.

-Phil

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Recently purchased '83 Veloce, on major budget due to other projects. I am used to tweeking Mcpherson strut front ends & not sure how this will respond to lowering. If I put say IAP reds on my '83 veloce:

- They say it lowers less than an inch, mine seems nose high & understeers, do they lower more in the front than the back?
- What front camber would I end up with?
- I would like to end up with say 1 deg +/- neg in front & obviously 0 in rear (solid axle), what is cheapest way to adjust after I go down?
- Are there any hidden suprises or can I just put on the springs and not spend more? (retain shocks, etc for now)

PS some great threads, learned a lot & only been reading about 2 weeks.

Matt
The normal stance for a '83 Spider is that the front looks just a tad lower than the back. Spiders that look like "tail draggers" are typically in need of springs.

The IAP springs (as well as other sport springs) will level your car nicely. For negative camber you will need to replace your non-adjustable OEM set-up with adjustable upper control arms.

There are several proven combinations of sport springs (race springs are a whole different story) and shocks sold by suppliers both in the U.S.A. and Europe, so just be sure to benefit from their tried and trued R&D and follow their advice. The OEM Spider shocks are made by SPICA. They are black in color.

Best regards,

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
ZUNIGE recommended i get performance springs since i bottom out a lot in manhattan. just wanted to get a recommendation for which one i should buy.
Whatever Enrique recommends. Gotta admit :eek:, man knows about the Spider:).

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
There have been some great threads regarding suspensions. I have listed some of them here, but certainly there are additional threads, so please don't hesitate to search. Also, nothing beats driving a Spider with the exact mods you are considering, so it's also worth asking people in your local Alfa Owners chapter.
Best regards,

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Whatever Enrique recommends. Gotta admit :eek:, man knows about the Spider:).
Thanks, LM. Nonetheless, there really are several great set-ups, and suspension feel is also a subjective topic.

Best regards,

·
Registered
92 Posts
My care lowered maybe at the most an Inch.
Now it is level. Before the rear sagged and if I pushed down on it. (Surf time) LOL
The front was soft too.
After putting on those IAP spirngs. It levelled the car, and now handles/feels great and no more bottoming out. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts