Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting the suspension together on my JrZ and thought I'd share the install and work involved. It's a performance build with a mix of vintage Alfa & modern performance parts. I'll try to give detailed info on the parts I install. These should work across the board for the most part on all 105 series cars. If you have any comments or addtions please post.

-John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I cleaned, stripped, sanded & wire wheeled the chassis before applying poly truck bed liner in black. First part I installed was an original GTA aluminum torque T/trunnion (actually came out of a GTA Jr). The weight savings over the original T is significant.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adding some additional photos:

Because I’m using shorter rear springs (Alfaholics 180 in/lbs) but using standard length shocks (Koni reds) I’m using Alfaholics rear turret shock extenders.

Photo of diff prior to going into car; 4.3 (10/43 R&P) Euro gear set with added clutch plates (2) & aluminum calipers. Showing a closeup of the Harvey Bailey “4 link” brackets installed on the diff as well as the 4 link bracket mounted on the chassis outboard of the trunnion mounting. I’ve misplaced the arm that connects the two! (along with a number of additional parts)

As mentioned, the rear springs are shorter so I cut the length of the axle straps to keep the springs in position as well as the bump stop rubber thickness (& removed the aluminum spacer) to allow additional travel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Since I’m waiting for parts on the rear suspension (will come back to later) I’m moving to the front.

I’m using lightweight lower control arms (Alfaholics), 1” dropped spindles, extended lower ball joints, & aluminum caster strut bushings (Richard Jemison). Adjustable upper control arms with lower control arm bushings for the inner bushings. Lightweight steering stops (Alfaholics), roller bearing idler box (Classic Alfa), Yellow Koni Shocks, Alfaholics aluminum calipers & ventilated rotors. Finally I’m using Alfaholics GTAR front spring (900 in/lbs) assemblies & hollow tube front bar.

I ran into a problem fitting the front spring assemblies with the dropped spindles. Alfaholics has a steering geometry kit they use (instead of the dropped spindles) and the springs were too short. I worked with Jim at Alfaholics and he supplied additional upper spring perch shims to solve the problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Button up’ed the rear suspension. Have misplaced a box containing the rear perportioning valve & the 4 link arm; hopefully it will show up soon. Installed lightweight trailing arms, shocks, springs and some “eye candy” a Montreal magnesium diff sump cooler.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Looks great, hope to be doing that soon myself

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting close to being finished on the suspension. I currently have three options for wheel/tires: 14x7 magnesium Campy’s, 15x6 restored original magnesium Minilites (Gordon Raymond fabricated the lug nuts based on an original) with “super sticky” tires, or new 15x6-1/2 Alfaholics’s GTA copies (no photo - have in storage). Still deciding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1972 GTV
121 Posts
Wow looks great! I have nearly gone down the same updates as you. So here are some other things we found. But when we checked the wheelbase of the car both sides we found it was not equal, we machined up a offset front trailing arm for the rear to “square it up! The next problem was the rear wheels were not following the front, yes the front track is wider than the rear but :( . Moved the front caster around a little and reset the rear trunion on both chassis and diff pick up point, being careful not to screw the wheel base we just fixed. That’s sorted.
next up we checked steering, huge bump steer :(:( and another issue of Ackerman angle came to light
All sorted now after quite a few hours of adjustment, remaking bushes etc.
You won’t believe the difference
And wow what a difference, it’s just a dream to drive.
Just my thoughts for you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Getting close to being finished on the suspension. I currently have three options for wheel/tires: 14x7 magnesium Campy’s, 15x6 restored original magnesium Minilites (Gordon Raymond fabricated the lug nuts based on an original) with “super sticky” tires, or new 15x6-1/2 Alfaholics’s GTA copies (no photo - have in storage). Still deciding.
Good options. What about the option of the 15x7", 4x108 PCD, 30mm offset Panasport style by ROTA wheels that I am selling? Only $550 for the 5 wheels (one is brand new and the other 4 in great condition). If interested in the tires also, they are performance summer Yoko's AD08 205/50x15 ($400 for 5 tires and one is brand new). Shipping at buyer's cost.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input; it’s going to be awhile before I get the motor and the rest of the mechanicals back in the car and on the ground. In the meantime I’ll take various measurements on the wheelbase/track etc. and see what I find.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished installation of the hollow tube front bar; took a bit of “fittling” to get in. I don’t think there would be any problem installing into a GTV, Spider, etc., but the JrZ is like a hand built car and I had to make a couple of notches to fit. A little effort but I think came out good.

I made the executive decision to go with the Campy wheels; gives the car a more vintage GTA’ish look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Great settup, suspension is the fun bit imo, great to see how youre putting it together, hope to be there soon with mine as well

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found the missing “four link bar” and installed. As I understand it these link kits were developed to skirt the rules where a sliding block system was illegal for the class In the UK. It will be interesting to see how well it works. The suspension is now finished except for adjustment. On to the next area: fuel system.

Attachments

·
Registered
1972 GTV
121 Posts
Hi, can you tell me more about the “ 4 link“ please! Is this a Harvey Balley set up? We in Aust cannot
do the sliding block either but what you have is very interesting.
w

·
Registered
1972 GTV
121 Posts
Panasport don’t look like that picture. Pete the problem was,for me at least, there is nothing else out there. I got the “lightweight“ version from Ruth Spruell, which is not for road use,as they have to be a Historic wheel style for Aust Sb. racing.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Found the missing “four link bar” and installed. As I understand it these link kits were developed to skirt the rules where a sliding block system was illegal for the class In the UK. It will be interesting to see how well it works. The suspension is now finished except for adjustment. On to the next area: fuel system.
John
I think sales of these were discontinued, you might want to look into this. A SB will control lateral movement, these links will potentially control axle squat under accel & decel.
Peter

·
Registered
51 Posts
I sold my ROTA wheels (similar to the Panasport) to someone who like the look of the Panasport wheels. They are very popular and I actually see almost the same amount of Spiders and GTMs with Panasport (or ROTA) than with the original (or replica) wheels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts