Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks AROO for a great event. I know Ken said that the intermediate group was "full" but it sure seemed a lot less crowded than the advanced group. Lots of open track nonetheless. Glad I switched to that group for my new car shakedown track day.

Partial cloudy, cool weather made for ideal track conditions. Lots of great cars out there and visiting the pits. Even had the fun of running with some vintage Alfas! Beautiful cars.

My in-car cam didn't work (was trying to use an iPod with some analytics, but the GPS didn't acquire...not sure why).

In any event, here are a few paddock pics.

Loved being out on the track with one of my favorite cars of all time. This one started life as a Junior, but now has a 2-liter swap:

Some non-Alfas really stood out.

This D2 was by far the fastest thing in my group:

Paddock visitors were very nice.

My car done for the day before swapping to street wheels and loading up all the stuff. Back in the saddle with my new car, going home shiny side up, no CELs all day, r-compounds nicely heat cycled, and a ton of fun with the Alfa crew. Mission accomplished! If you squint, Frankenfiesta maybe looks like a Mito?

In any event, I had an awesome time with my Fiesta ST on its first track day. A fun car out with a great club. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
D2 Ride along

Thanks AROO for a great event. I know Ken said that the intermediate group was "full" but it sure seemed a lot less crowded than the advanced group. Lots of open track nonetheless. Glad I switched to that group for my new car shakedown track day.

Partial cloudy, cool weather made for ideal track conditions. Lots of great cars out there and visiting the pits. Even had the fun of running with some vintage Alfas! Beautiful cars.

My in-car cam didn't work (was trying to use an iPod with some analytics, but the GPS didn't acquire...not sure why).

In any event, here are a few paddock pics.

Loved being out on the track with one of my favorite cars of all time. This one started life as a Junior, but now has a 2-liter swap:

Some non-Alfas really stood out.

This D2 was by far the fastest thing in my group:

Paddock visitors were very nice.

My car done for the day before swapping to street wheels and loading up all the stuff. Back in the saddle with my new car, going home shiny side up, no CELs all day, r-compounds nicely heat cycled, and a ton of fun with the Alfa crew. Mission accomplished! If you squint, Frankenfiesta maybe looks like a Mito?

In any event, I had an awesome time with my Fiesta ST on its first track day. A fun car out with a great club. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To be honest, that advanced group did not look like much fun from the D2 perspective. The variation among cars was not small. Some of the drivers were not very good either. That one white/beige older BMW had a terrible line through the "double apex" (turn 4) at the bottom of the main straight. Obviously the D2 had that driver a little bit out of sorts, but he should focus on his driving -- not the D2 on his ***.

The D2 appeared to have a pretty fun car right in front of it at the start (could not tell what it was), but all that traffic really held him up. You could feel the frustration. Plus, the Fit should not have been in that group, even if the driver was an instructor. The car was a speed bump.

Anyway, I was VERY happy with the intermediate group. I was right about mid-pack from a car capability POV and was able to focus on hitting apex, etc. Tons of open track. Well-matched cars. Very fun day.

The D2 also ran in our group later in the day. FAST.

One reason I love the Club Lotus days is that they have a "race car" group (event occurs on the weekend of a vintage race). That allows cars like the Palatovs to run with open wheel cars, Can Am style vintage prototypes, etc. The other groups generally have street cars (although many are very fast).

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Question- how do S3 spiders generally do on a track day? Given typical Koni reds, 1" lower springs, 14" tires...are they still a handful?

This looks like fun, and I'm thinking on taking my 86 veloce out some time. If the car will self destruct, I might have second thoughts...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Question- how do S3 spiders generally do on a track day? Given typical Koni reds, 1" lower springs, 14" tires...are they still a handful?

This looks like fun, and I'm thinking on taking my 86 veloce out some time. If the car will self destruct, I might have second thoughts...

Well, like any nearly 30-year-old car, it needs to be thoroughly nut-and-bolted, right? It's not likely to be "fast" and absolutely needs a minimum 4-point rollbar to be accepted into most track events. Some track day orgs don't allow convertibles at all, although many just have stipulations about supplemental roll-over protection and the like.

But how could it not be "fun" to drive? You just have to drive with care and feel your way around to know the car's limits.

There are race prepped Alfa roadsters at most Alfa events. They race in vintage events, right? So, how your car will do all depends on how ready it is for some abuse. And, in my view, there's no doubt that track days are tough on cars.

Someone else might be able to respond about S3s specifically.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts