Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am interested in a perfect no excuses '66 to '69 spider, that has been fully restored properly (no rust or bondo). Great if better than new! (and I may have a slight preference for the duetto, but a 1750 european with carbs would be icing on the cake) If one exists!

I understand I will need to pay the appropriate price.

I had a '72 when I was in high school and have always missed it.

thanks,

·
Registered
705 Posts
Assuming one existed, what would you expect to pay for a perfect '66 to '69 spider?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Bama, I know you are thinking about tradin' her in on a new model. Don't do it Bama, remember, "she is your mistress, the 69 spider of your dreams".:D

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ya know, there is something really sexy about these 1950's photos.....

Woah, we are getting way off topic, back to finding a nice 66-69 spider. I don't know of any for sale, but if I find one, I will pass it along.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
What is your price range for such a vehicle? Keeping in mind that a fairly decent example of a red 67 Duetto sold at RM Arizona in January '09 for $46K.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
What is your price range for such a vehicle? Keeping in mind that a fairly decent example of a red 67 Duetto sold at RM Arizona in January '09 for $46K.
fairly decent?? 46k??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Price all depends on the car.

When I bought my Alfa in high school, I could only afford 4,000. My budget has expanded greatly since then.

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... Great if better than new! (and I may have a slight preference for the duetto, but a 1750 european with carbs would be icing on the cake) If one exists!
They do exist in this hemisphere, although they are not abundant... While no Alfas were imported into the U.S. in 1968 (since Alfa was working on the SPICA as the solution to meet U.S. regs), they were imported into Canada. They had the 1750 engine, European cams, carburetors, and the Carello headlight covers.

Best regards,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most round-tails on the market are 69 1750 Spider. The 66-67 Duettos are rare. This $46K Duetto has been discussed here do a search or if the link does not work:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...270-1967-alfa-duetto-rm-auction-46-200-a.html
I would prefer, visually, the earlier duettos. I have never driven one with the engine.

Is the '69 considered less desirable and less valuable?

And it does appear, certainly based on condition reports, that the $46k auction sold alfa was a function of pure emotion. It is amazing how people can get carried away and pay high prices for cars that aren't worthy.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would prefer, visually, the earlier duettos. I have never driven one with the engine.

Is the '69 considered less desirable and less valuable?

And it does appear, certainly based on condition reports, that the $46k auction sold alfa was a function of pure emotion. It is amazing how people can get carried away and pay high prices for cars that aren't worthy.
67 vs 69 are personal preference. First series collector cars are generally command more money than later years. Look at Dino 206 vs 246, 74 Ferrari 365 GT4 BB vs 512 bbi. Lambo Contach 74 vs. the 80's...
I like the 67 because of the tear-drops turn signal light (tear-drop and round- tail are famous design of that era) and the unobstructive beautiful side view of the body line (no head-rests pop out), sorry for the poor quality iPhone pic and the artistic "alfa romeo" script on the trunk. Look at the "sold" record of Fantasy Junction, only ONE 67, one 68 (Unofficial US Import) and Two 69s. These ratios are good representation of the market, meaning less 67.
The 1600 motor with Dual Carbs pulls strong and sounds awesome, just right for that light Italian body. Just took her to a drive along the Pacific Coast...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
On average, it seems as though Duetto/Roundtail prices are down about $5k from their highpoint 2-3 years ago. I've seen some really nice ones (5 or 6) here on the BB go for $17K - $22K in the last 6 months or so. Good luck!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've seen some really nice ones (5 or 6) here on the BB go for $17K - $22K in the last 6 months or so. Good luck!
Agreed on this price range. I think Rower or anyone seriously seeking for the best / fully restored round-tail need to budget $50K - $70K. (assuming restoring costs between $30K for excellent $50K for concurs plus wait 6-12 months for the project). I think the market willl justify full restoration when Duettos approaching their half century milestone in 2016. Again, they are meant to be driven and enjoyed, there are better investments out there than cars....

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I agree that is what it would cost to do it "perfect" from scratch, but not to buy someone else's that has already "done it" ($25K - $35K in this economy). The key will be the elusive equation of "finding it" (aka patience) and "timing".

BTW... finding a "perfect" Duetto/Boattail is child's play compared to finding even a #2 condition Super in the USA. Ask me how I know :(

·
Registered
343 Posts
to buy someone else's that has already "done it" ($25K - $35K in this economy). :(
May be but I have not seen any "perfect" Duetto on the market for years, there were good to excellent ones for sale but not perfect, let alone original. I think there are only a handful of perfect Duettos today and people are keeping them. Even the $46K duetto was not perfect. If you need a perfect duetto, you really need to restore one.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
May be but I have not seen any "perfect" Duetto on the market for years, there were good to excellent ones for sale but not perfect...
True. Me either.

Rower, I'd recommend a trip to the Monterrey Peninsula this August: Concorso Italiano, The Quail, Historics, etc. You'll probably come close to finding what you're looking for there if you don't want to tackle it from the ground up.

A noble quest indeed.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts