Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased Penrite for my steering box which previouly had been filled with a mixture of 90 weight oil and grease. I would like to clean out the box before I fill it. Can I simply remove the four bolts holding on the top of the steering box? I know some of you are going to suggest that I replace the seal. I intend to do this along with some other pretty major fixes summer of 2022 when the car is not driveable anyway. ( I am in South Texas Winter is top down weather here. Summer is park it time )

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,110 Posts
Yes, that's doable in the car, though it might still be tough to get all the oil and grease out even with the top cover removed.

I'd take the small football-shaped cover, shims, and spring off first, then remove the top cover.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was leaking pretty badly. Anyway its all finished. Getting the old goop out wasn't as bad as you would imagine. I siphoned as much as I could then pulled the most rest out using a 1' paint brush. When i had most of it out i hooked up my compressor and blew the last 10% to the bottom and grabbed it up with the paint brush. The only thing i moved out of the way was the radiator overflow tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts