Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very confusing topic this but I understand Penrite is widely used by old Alfas in Australia and
I'd like to hear from someone who actually uses the stuff in a 105 LSD.
What we get in NZ is Penrite Gear Oil premium mineral 80w-90 , I have it in my Hilux lsd and it seems to work fine.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Their oils are high quality, no doubt, but there's no doubt it's possible to buy the wrong spec product for the application.
I'd be inclined to ask them what is best for your LSD application...they'll know. Maybe it's stated on the containers already, or on their website.
I always use their oil in my 105s engine, and currently in the gearbox and diff, and all good, but it's not LSD.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,851 Posts
I'm not in NZ, but per Pennrite it's GL5 rated and has friction modifiers for the LSD. So it should be perfectly acceptable for the 105/115 differential, LSD or not.

I've used various fluids in the diff on these cars and have never really noticed any difference. As long as it's got a GL5 rating to protect the gears you're probably perfectly fine.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Hi there,

I have a 105 GTV (1974) with a limited slip differential and I have used
Penrite Gear Oil 80W-90 (Mineral) in my differential and gearbox for many years. I drove across Australia three times without incident - the car always shifts smoothly too. The differential takes 1.42 Litres and the gearbox 1.81 litres.

HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts