Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reassembled most of my car (after a second disassembly !!)...

Quick question. There are 2 holes in the bottom of the pedal box. Should they stay open (to breath) or am I missing rubber plugs to close them off ?

Thanks

Roland

ps: last question: where does one get the rubber grommets for the front brake lines on the side firewall ? Cant find them !

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pedal box

Thanks Osso.. but unfortunately that isn't my box.. I forgot to take a picture once I refinished mine....
I guess I'll duct tape them until I find something that fits in there ....

Roland

ps: here is a picture of my car with the underseal done (Dinitrol - done myself - what a mess !!!) ... although suspension arms are dirty (from rolling in rainy weather right before I got it back) they have been redone and look great. I redismantled the car down to a clean bare underchassis (rear axle-driveline-fuel pump etc...) to spray the chassis (2 coats: 1 thin soft cavity wax layer -2 tougher underbody coat). Took a lot longer than I assumed.

Attachments

·
Out of the office!
11,673 Posts
Thanks Osso.. but unfortunately that isn't my box.. I forgot to take a picture once I refinished mine....
I know, it's mine. :D

I guess I'll duct tape them until I find something that fits in there ....
They are simply rubber plugs. I can't get to my car right now to get a picture.

ps: here is a picture of my car with the underseal done (Dinitrol - done myself - what a mess !!!) ... although suspension arms are dirty (from rolling in rainy weather right before I got it back) they have been redone and look great. I redismantled the car down to a clean bare underchassis (rear axle-driveline-fuel pump etc...) to spray the chassis (2 coats: 1 thin soft cavity wax layer -2 tougher underbody coat). Took a lot longer than I assumed.
All that hard work paid off. The underside looks great.

Here's a picture of the brake line grommets. Maybe you can order some through your local dealer. It's worth a shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Splash panels

Forgot it was yours Osso !!! I have so many pictures from you on my computer. A great reference when I am stuck and I realise I am missing the right pictures. Thanks again.

I am trying to stop picking at everything (I recently dismantled the brake regulator valve to paint it and make sure it was clean... I know I shouldn't have but as usual I could not resist and the conclusion is that it is made of very simple parts... now its clean and freshly painted !).

Unfortunately I have many things to fix that are far from perfect or even non functional (ex: radiator hits the front hood panel - which by the way does not close right !!).

Last question: I bought splash panels from a UK vendor with thick rubber seals all around. Its impossible to fit them in (too large). I think the rubber seal prevents the panels to fit properly (I really tried hard to push them in). Has anybody had this same experience ? I cut off the seals off one panel and it seems to fit somewhat ok but I will need to fill the gaps with some rubber seals (can't find anything right now that resembles !!!). Anybody have another solution ?

Roland

·
Out of the office!
11,673 Posts
Unfortunately I have many things to fix that are far from perfect or even non functional (ex: radiator hits the front hood panel - which by the way does not close right !!).
Do the two upper mounts on the radiator line up with the mounts on the car? Also, make sure that the radiator is sitting down on that lower pad. The cross member has a small cut out in it for the lower port on the radiator. Make sure it doesn't interfere that. Oh, make sure you have the right radiator.

Last question: I bought splash panels from a UK vendor with thick rubber seals all around. Its impossible to fit them in (too large). I think the rubber seal prevents the panels to fit properly (I really tried hard to push them in). Has anybody had this same experience ? I cut off the seals off one panel and it seems to fit somewhat ok but I will need to fill the gaps with some rubber seals (can't find anything right now that resembles !!!). Anybody have another solution ?
I had the same problem with my shields. You have to put your weight into it and get the rubber gasket to flex and bend so that it makes a tight seal. Don't trim the rubber.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Splash panels

Darn .. I trimmed one already.. I can fix it.. The others are so hard though !!! I may have to warm them (oven, hot water). I cant even get them under the wing.. it does not clear the edge of the wing..
Tonight I'll try again...

Roland

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Radiator

As for the radiator... it was fixed so it is the right one... except if they made it too tall (which is my assumption). I went to a radiator guy and he says nothing can be done except for him to make me a new one for 200$ !!! I said impossible. So he took a block of wood and put it on top of my radiator and wacked it with a hammer. It pushed in the top of the radiator. He said: There, it should fit now !!! Well my radiator is real ugly... by trying to straighten it a bit a small hole appear so now I have to have it welded....
The radiator guy says the dimensions seem ok (+- a few centimeters (which by the way make a big difference)) so maybe the hood/front repairs took a few centimeters away.. I dont know what to think anymore so I am sticking with the crumpled radiator (will clean it up a bit) and getthe car driving... I will keep that as a later project !!!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
So he took a block of wood and put it on top of my radiator and wacked it with a hammer. It pushed in the top of the radiator. He said: There, it should fit now!
Sounds like a real pro.

Somehow I think I'd have been compelled to hit him between the eyes with the same hammer then saying 'hey now your hat fits better too!', but they tell me I'm not real good with people....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pedal box

Ha ha !!! Well here in France I should of slapped him ... Actually I thought he going to come up with a miracle solution and by the time I saw the hammer it was too late !! Lesson learned... but then, I didnt have any other solution.
I only have myself to blame for all the issues I am dealing with. I must admit I'll miss the issues when they are gone... I love working things out.... but when they are not self inflicted problems it is a little frustrating.
So nobody to slap around but myself :)

Roland

1 - 12 of 12 Posts