Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1986 quad. I am following the “changing motor mounts for dummies” thread and not remove any of the intake or fuel injection piping. I’ve replaced the trans mount and drivers side motor mount no problem. The passenger side mount is in place but I had to completely remove the intake manifold suppor bracket to get the old passenger side mount out and the new one into position. Now I can not get the manifold support bracket back into place. I can’t seem to get it high enough under the manifold to get it’s foot into the passenger side motor mount bracket. What is the secret? Do I need to loosen the passenger mount and try to rotate motor mount and support bracket into position together? I hate to go backwards as it was really hard to position the height of the jack to get the motor mount on the back stud on the frame and capture with the washer and nut from underneath. I still need to align and replace the front mount to frame bolt and all the nuts to the block are loose. I just can’t get the manifold support into the motor mount to insert the 17mm bolt.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciate.
Mike

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
926 Posts
I had luck inserting the bottom first and then pivoting the top up to the mounts on the intake. There is a little "give" while swinging it up in the intake boots....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SkiBum thanks for your reply. It’s frustrating to be so close. I will try your method. I have been trying to pull the bracket up into position but just past the two upper 17mm bolt holes -can’t see a thing, my arms are in the way - and I come so close to being able insert the lower foot into the mount. Just about a 1/2” short. I either can’t get enough give in the manifold rubbers, or the the hoses behind the manifold are in the way, or the arm on the bracket that attaches to the block won’t let me come up any more. I’m not quite sure. Can’t quite see what’s going on under there.

i will try rotating the bracket as you suggest and see if I can get enough clearance to insert the foot into the mount pocket.

ps: love your ”handle”. There was a time in my life when all I wanted was to be a ski bum. I was instructing at a small area to get thru college and I guess I just got tired of putting my ski boots on every day. Keep up the good work

Thanks again for the help.
Mike

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
926 Posts
Yes Mike, there are many things on these Alfas that are just barely within human ability to conquer without major dismantling. You can also get a view from underneath, looking through the firewall on the right side of the tranny. Good luck! I have been akiing since I could walk and spent many years on the National Ski Patrol. No near as much quality skiing here as there was in CO and WA. but I go when I can these days...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I struggled with the passenger side also... lots of us do. I wound up sliding a smaller bolt through the hole in the motor mount, where the support rod fits, to give it a little play. Then, working from underneath like SkiBum said, we got the bolts started into the manifold, and then the 10mm nuts started. It was still a PITA though. I used a long extension, a u-joint wrapped with 3M tape, and sockets partly stuffed with paper. Grrrrr when I think of it. My son got the last bolts started when I ran out of gas, and patience. We then went back and knocked out the smaller bolt using the 17mm bolt in the mount.

You are correct, you cannot reach the rear bolt into the intake plenum unless you remove the coolant overflow reservoir, which is really not hard at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts