Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I am in the process of putting my engine bay back together. Before doing so though, I want to replace the motor mounts.

I have the injectors/fuel rail etc... out - so I have easy access to the passenger side mount.

For the life of me, I cannot get a wrench on the bottom nut that mounts to the body/frame. I have all the others slightly loose.

I have a lot of different types of wrenches, but nothing seems to be able to get access to the 13mm nut. Socket is too high - it cannot fit between block and the nut, box is too thick, can't get it on between the nut and the mount...etc...

How do you get at that nut?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I am doing the same thing right now. I jacked up the passenger side engine a little bit. That straightened out the mount allowing me to get a ratchet wrench on it. At that point it was simple. Remember to do the same when putting the nut back on.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - thanks. I was thinking that might be the solution. I was just trying to get all the nuts started today, before i get my buddy and a jack out this weekend. I am trying not to waste his time while I curse and berate myself over frozen nuts.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
So far it's not been horrible. It did take a while to get all the nuts off. Some you have only a small turning area. You will need to jack up the side to get the bracket out and then the mount. I had my son slowly jack it up while I pulled on the bracket/mount.

I am replacing a few things. My fuel line literally snapped in half at the pressure regulator. I was so old and brittle. I am replacing the 2 main fuel lines and all radiator hoses.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
little tip: check the plenum stay rod fits real easy into the 'new' passenger engine mount.....my new passenger mount was about 0.25mm too narrow and I was cussing for an hour, stuck under the car wondering why it wouldn't go together! Took off the mount again (more cussing) to find the stay wouldn't fit. Had to slightly file the stay rod till it slid in easily.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Does the plenum stay rod have a bolt holding it on to the mount? The one I just removed did not. I thought that was strange and currently plan on putting a bolt on it to hold it to the mount.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The jack will be your best friend if your passenger side mount is as fragged as mine was. Just jack slowly and steadily until you have enough clearance for a wrench. When you re-install be sure to put anti seize lube on the bolts after you've cleaned them up. It will aid in getting them back in as well as getting them out next time.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Also called manifold wrenches. 12 by 13mm is a wonder for getting to the bottom exhaust manifold nuts on our Alfas.

Robert

·
Registered
523 Posts
For the half moon/manifold wrenches, check with Harbor Freight; they have a metric set that they sell at a price that's makes it very difficult to rationalize not having a set in your tool cabinet. It's one of those tools that you don't use often, but when you need it, nothing else really works.

Best regards,

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So.. of course... nothing is easy.

I moved over to the driver side this afternoon to make sure I can loosen those up a bit before the weekend.

And lo and behold - the heads of both body/frame mounting bolts have been snapped off. The motor mount is just hanging there on 2 tiny nubs and held by gravity.

I don;t know whether to think that no good deed goes unpunished, or to be thankful that I found this before I put it back together and took it out on the road.

I am guessing that my plan will be to jack up the engine. Replace the passenger side mount. Then remove the driver side mount and try to tap 2 new bolts into the frame. UGH!!!

I think it is time for a glass of wine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the link. There are several ideas there. Not sure which way I will go until I have it apart and can figure out how much room I have to manuever.

Thanks again for the link!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts