Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I am looking for the cover plate that sits at the bottom of the engine bay in front of the radiator for our 59 2000. if you have one with the tag that would be great, please let me know. also I have see a few threads about Borrani wheels on a 2000 Tourings, saw a White one at Concouso Italiano and was an amazing addition to an already beautiful car. Can I please get some direction on the availability and correct size selection. Thank you

·
Push hard and live
9,617 Posts
GP

Mine was the only 2000 at Concorso this year, and the wheels were Dayton bolt ons, not Borrani.

Also, when you say "plate at the bottom in front of the radiator" are you referring to the plate that is at the bottom close to the ground, or the cover at the TOP in front of the radiator? This is the one where the lubrication chart is mounted. The plate at the bottom is rarely seen anymore, as they live a hard life down there taking hits from rocks, curbs and dead squirrels.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Wow! First the car looks great with the wire wheels, my friends with me think it is a must for my 2000. Do you remember me we talked, I have the NY 59 Alfa License plate like yours. I was the guy handing out flyer for the National Alfa meeting on the East coast.
Yes, i am looking for the cover plate in front of the radiator with the chart you referred to.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
There are several threads with information on (and pictures of) Dayton wheels on 102 Spiders on AlfaBB. I suggest you read this thread and this thread from beginning to end, as both of them contain several posts that are relevant to understanding what to look for when ordering these wheels.

·
Push hard and live
9,617 Posts
Hello GPT,

Yes, I remember our nice chat at Concorso. You might look for threads by Dabraham for the lubrication placard, but I don't have a lead on the cover plate that mounts ahead of the radiator. You'll need to find someone that is scrapping a car, I'm afraid.

Ruedi's links may not be the most on-point guidance for getting Dayton wire wheels. He seems to be responding to your thoughts about Borrani wheels, which are certainly pretty and more or less original. However, if I were to consider Borranis, I would tend toward 16" rather than 400mm. This would vastly improve your choice of tires. The negative is that, to my understanding, the 16" were not originally offered for the 102, but only for the later 106. So, it would depend upon whether your preference was for better handling and ride, or strict adherence to originality.

If originality is of less concern, the Dayton wheels are a good alternative at 1/10th the price. Simply call Dayton and tell them what you want. They will require you to fill out a form before accepting your order.

There are a couple of distributors that you can use to get a better price. You might review my restoration thread to find the names. I don't recall at this moment.

I chose to buy 4 Dayton's and use an original wheel and tire for my spare. The spare tire well is not deep enough for the wider wheels and tires.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Ruedi's links may not be the most on-point guidance for getting Dayton wire wheels.
There are even Dayton drawings and measurements in the links I provided. As I recall, some owners even talked about differing results with Dayton. So, just calling them may not be the best option.

The negative is that, to my understanding, the 16" were not originally offered for the 102, but only for the later 106.
2600s were never offered with 16" wheels, but 16" wheels fit over the brake drums (102) and calipers (106), while 15" won't. One of the benefits of going 16" (assuming the change is street legal, which depends on jurisdiction) is that there seem to be more tire choices available if one chooses wider and tubeless rims (else, all comes back to Michelin X and Pirelli CA67 with inner tubes).

·
Registered
463 Posts
GP,

Here is a radiator cover plate with tag which still may be available for sale. It looks like it needs some work in the corner regions though. This part is for sale by a fellow names Costas. PM me if you are interested, and I will send you his contact information. His listing number for this part is #8, and his prices are not cheap.

I also made up a few of these with thanks to RichardM who let me borrow his cover plate for use as a template. I made one with 1mm stock and the other with 1.5mm stock. I don't know which one I am going to keep, but I may be willing to let go of the other. The holes have not been drilled yet.

Doug

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,617 Posts
Ruedi's,

I recommend calling Dayton because their standard process is to require the customer to take a bunch of measurements on their specific car. If this is done they warrant the results. I used specs which another Dayton owner provided which turned out to be incorrect. We got it straightened out, but the problem would have been avoided had I first contacted Dayton directly. There are numerous distributors that sell the wheels at discount, so the actual purchase is best handled via one of them

My memory may have large holes in it, but somewhere I read that 16" Borranis were an available option for the 2600. They may never have been standard figment, but something that could have been ordered with a new car back in the day. By the mid 60's, the 400mm tires were increasingly being given up for more modern designs.

There are even Dayton drawings and measurements in the links I provided. As I recall, some owners even talked about differing results with Dayton. So, just calling them may not be the best option.

2600s were never offered with 16" wheels, but 16" wheels fit over the brake drums (102) and calipers (106), while 15" won't. One of the benefits of going 16" (assuming the change is street legal, which depends on jurisdiction) is that there seem to be more tire choices available if one chooses wider and tubeless rims (else, all comes back to Michelin X and Pirelli CA67 with inner tubes).

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
My memory may have large holes in it, but somewhere I read that 16" Borranis were an available option for the 2600. They may never have been standard figment, but something that could have been ordered with a new car back in the day. By the mid 60's, the 400mm tires were increasingly being given up for more modern designs.
I haven't seen any homologation papers, TSBs or parts catalog amendments that listed 16" wheels for 102 or 106 cars. So, I suspect if such wheels were offered, they were not factory authorized.

·
Push hard and live
9,617 Posts
"Factory authorized" is a concept not much used over here in US. Dealers then (and now) made a lot of money adding on stuff not delivered by the factory.

It's not really important now, in my opinion, unless someone has a narrow-minded dream to create the most perfect 106 in history. I personally favor driving them, and 16" wheels give us an improvement in that area.

Am I correct in remembering that the 1900s had a 16" in-period option? I've never seen it listed for the 102, but somewhere over the years I've run into 106's listed as having 16's on them. Very rare, but I've run into them in a time before they were likely to be recent additions.

Alfa history, as we know, is not supremely well defined.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Doug, Please send me the contact for that part, his has the signage although pretty bad shape. Would also consider taking one of yours because I was going to have one made as well. which is the correct metal thickness?
Thank to the rest of you for all the input in selecting a wire wheel, this will have to be one of the many car project for this coming winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts