Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that there are 3 big parts suppliers here in USA.,Centerline, Vick motorsports and Import auto parts or something like that. ones price is considerably cheaper than the others, is there a quality issue to be considered? Also trying to find a new driver side motor mount for my 84 Spider Veloce, seems like everybody is out. Anyone else out there that I dont know about?

·
Registered
381 Posts
It doesn't hurt to ask the vendor(s) what is the brand of part they are offering, regarding whatever it is you're looking for. One vendor may stock Lemforder ball joints while the other guy is offering Frap... There will be a price difference. If it's not listed, just ask.

Regarding your motor mount, someone here may be able to help you with that. Good luck.

--Doug

·
Push hard and live
10,440 Posts
I highly recommend Classic Alfa in the UK. They were competitive before the dollar gained strength against the pound and Euro. Good shipping prices, and FAST.

·
Premium Member
14,768 Posts
I have found that you usually get what you pay for. Lowest price is often lowest quality. I agree with 74GTV - ask the vendor what brand they sell. Some vendors have a business model of selling at the lowest price while others sell the highest quality that they can find. Some will not sell parts that they are not completely happy about. Within the USA, I usually order from DiFatta Brothers in Baltimore if the quality of the part is important, but there are quite a few others that I use - it depends upon what kind of part I need.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not agreeing with the "high price" equals "high quality" model.

Logistics, timing, greed, and business acumen all contribute to the price a distributor tries to get for a part. An example relevant to Alfa ownership: the channels for door seals on a GTV 2000. There is only one manufacturer in the world for this part yet those U.S. distributors that sell the channel set offer if for between 200 and 300 dollars, plus 26 dollars shipping to my door while the European vendors selling it for between 120 to 160 dollars, plus 21 dollars shipping to my door.

Another vote for Classic Alfa. Also, please consider checking prices at OKP, Alfaholics, E.B. Spares. European distributors are buying most of their inventory from Italy or have it made by machinist or manufacturers local to them.

I maintain a running list of parts that I want or need for my cars and the price that it is offered for by each of distributors that I've had gotten good service and quality parts from in the past (see list above). I invariably buy a part from the distributor who offers it at the lowest cost.

Probably a separate thread but what is the best way to engage and complete a transaction with BiFatta Brothers?

Bob

·
Registered
564 Posts
There may be differences, but they all may be the same brand, depending on the part. As with most retailers these days they probably work off a 'matrix" when marking up prices. in other words they don't just take their cost and add a certain percentage across the board. Some items they might mark up a large percent and others a small percent trying to stay competitive and still make a profit. Retailers want to appear to be inexpensive so they may take certain high profile items and use a very low mark up, but they do have to make a profit somewhere so they will mark up other items, maybe must haves, hard to find, or other criteria higher.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts