Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's something I found interesting on another site:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6743/Bora/partsinterchange.html

Having just changed a tie rod end on my 84 Spider I noticed that the tie rod ends (ball joints) boxes were marked that they also fitted:

BMW 1500, 1600, 1800, 2000

Ford Taurus 17M, 20M, P5, P7

VW 1200, 1300, 1600, 411L Transp.

See what I'm getting at? Or, is there already a site or database around that's not evident?

If I was more of a PC geek I'd volunteer to do it.

I'm thinking there HAS to be another car out there that used the same master brake cylinder as our '69's did.

And yes, I realize too, that most of the interchangeable parts are going to be mechanical in nature.

But think about it, no more being looked at like you've got a 3rd eye in your forehead by the guy behind the NAPA counter on a Saturday afternoon, right?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hollander Interchange manuals

There is a company that provides interchange manuals called Hollander. They have been used by salvage yards for years. They tend to have better coverage on domestic vehicles, but also cover imports.

You occassionally see their manuals for sale in hemmings.

Marc

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a copy of the Hollander for my 69 GTV and it seems to be more like what interchanges between Afla's more than anything else.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Once you have the Hollander # for the Alfa part, you should be able to tie it back to other OEM applications. I think they have a CD database that allows you to search part application by Hollander #, but it has been a while since I have seen or used it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hi there!I also found something similar. In my Giulia (105) tryed tie rods from Mercedes 123 type. They fitted great! And the quality was super in contrast with some OEM I used before. But I didn't bought from the Mercedes....again from a good Germany OEM company

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
...See what I'm getting at? Or, is there already a site or database around that's not evident?

...Any ideas?
Tom Zat used to have an Alfa parts exchange database at the time that Pat was writing either the Giulia book or the Bible. I'm not sure whatever happened to it --- if Tom published it or not.

But since Tom is not nearly as involved in Alfas as previously, unless someone has one to share it's probably lost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts