Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Spider Graduate
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
Firstly, I would like to say thank you to everyone on the forums. I have had my Spider since November, and just now am I having to make a post. The wealth of knowledge is truly incredible.
However, it is to my chagrin that I even have to make a post now. Yesterday, I planted my car firmly into a ditch. This was completely my fault, and I want nothing more than to fix the damage I've done. I drove it home and it ran normal. I am having the body looked at by a well qualified shop in my area. But, I have a suspicion I've warped my unibody beyond what I can afford to fix. There is a donor car within my reach that looks to have a decent body. This donor is a 1985, and my Spider is a 1989. What issues would I have with parts compatibility? I plan on completely transferring the interior of my car, including the updated gauge cluster.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1989 Spider Graduate
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best single source of year-to-year changes is 'Original Alfa Romeo' by Chris Rees, and Alfa Romeo Spider FAQ's, Alfa Romeo Spider FAQ by Scott Johnson.

Dual-pods vs the Monopod is a taste thing. . . .

David OD
Laguna CA
Thank you! This has certainly helped with some of my fears, as well as confirmed I will sadly have to keep my third brake light. The donor will need the sides of the wing. Unless I can pick up the rubber pieces for cheap, I'll have to transfer my entire wing.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
Thank you! This has certainly helped with some of my fears, as well as confirmed I will sadly have to keep my third brake light. The donor will need the sides of the wing. Unless I can pick up the rubber pieces for cheap, I'll have to transfer my entire wing.
Not sure what you mean about sadly having to keep your third brake light. You don't have to keep it. Not all mono pod cars had the third brake light in 1986 so you would not have to use it if you do not want it.

·
Registered
1989 Spider Graduate
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what you mean about sadly having to keep your third brake light. You don't have to keep it. Not all mono pod cars had the third brake light in 1986 so you would not have to use it if you do not want it.
It's to my understanding the spoiler on the 85 (the donor car) is the earlier rubber style. My 89 has the hard plastic. The donor is missing a side piece of the spoiler. If I'm wrong I will be glad. I really like the look of having a badge on the spoiler.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
It's to my understanding the spoiler on the 85 (the donor car) is the earlier rubber style. My 89 has the hard plastic. The donor is missing a side piece of the spoiler. If I'm wrong I will be glad. I really like the look of having a badge on the spoiler.
Well, in 1986, Alfa went to the monopod but the early models had the old rubber spoiler without the third brake light. The later ones used the third brake light. It used the third contact on the switches in the trunk lid. You do not have to use it.
You are good to go without it.

·
Registered
1989 Spider Graduate
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, in 1986, Alfa went to the monopod but the early models had the old rubber spoiler without the third brake light. The later ones used the third brake light. It used the third contact on the switches in the trunk lid. You do not have to use it.
You are good to go without it.
My main concern with the spoiler is that I've never seen the rubber spoiler in person. Unless I can track down the missing side piece in my price range I'd have to cabbage one off my car. Wouldn't it look strange if the sides were plastic, and the spoiler itself was rubber?

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
955 Posts
Spoiler options:

There are three types. All have the same footprint & fasteners, so are interchangable, but if you mingle parts from different types it won't look right.

From 83, you have the 'tall' soft-rubber spoiler, badges L, R, & center, no third brake light.
From 86, slightly lower hard plastic, badges on L & R, center has third brake light. Alfa badge on rear trunk lid.
'Zender' spoiler, low profile, hard rubber. No badges, no 3rd brake light.

The tall soft spoiler took flak for years, but has been less criticized lately. It was appropriate for the era and does have advocates.

On my '84, I replaced the tall soft one with a Zender and added an Alfa Romeo script badge on the rear black panel.

I consider a third brake light a significant safety advantage and installed one on my license plate frame.

David OD
Laguna CA
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
My main concern with the spoiler is that I've never seen the rubber spoiler in person. Unless I can track down the missing side piece in my price range I'd have to cabbage one off my car. Wouldn't it look strange if the sides were plastic, and the spoiler itself was rubber?
This will not work, as the profiles of the rubber and plastic spoilers/side pieces are different. Best route is to go with the Zender spoiler like @David O'D and I did.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
That would look strange but I am sure you can find the missing piece.

Here is one on Ebay right now.

Also, Alfa Parts Exchange in California should have them

·
Registered
1989 Spider Graduate
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would look strange but I am sure you can find the missing piece.

Here is one on Ebay right now.

Also, Alfa Parts Exchange in California should have them
Thank you to all. I'll have to see what my financial situation is when time comes to put the work in. If I can afford it I'll try to go for the zender. Can anyone think of other issues i will have with the car at large? I will have to swap the engine and the entire interior.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
Thank you to all. I'll have to see what my financial situation is when time comes to put the work in. If I can afford it I'll try to go for the zender. Can anyone think of other issues i will have with the car at large? I will have to swap the engine and the entire interior.
Wiring harness if you plan to use the monopod in the 1985 model

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Would this be too difficult for two high-school guys?
It's not rocket surgery, but it will depend how handy those high school guys are. There are high school guys who can't change their oil and high school guys who have rebuilt motors.

Biggest thing with the harness is having to take apart the interior. Getting it apart is easy, back together in good shape is more difficult.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
Would this be too difficult for two high-school guys?
You can do it especially if you keep asking for help on this forum. Did my first similar conversion in my early 20's

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
I think I've read that mine will have torpedoes but ill check.
You should be able to use wither fuse box but if you have one that does not have torpedo fuses, use that one

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.