Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A man in my area contacted me about his 76 Spider. It has rust and rats ate some of the wiring. 400 firm. Motor is good and has the aluminum wheels. Interior pretty much shot
how have you valued a parts car?

·
Registered
1978 Spider 1984 Spider
351 Posts
Do you value the parts it still has? If so and you have the space...buy it...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you value the parts it still has? If so and you have the space...buy it...
I am just getting into these Italian cars. I have an 83 so I know there are some differences I suppose. I have limited space. I would probably strip as much as was salvageable and store it until needed. I'm not a fan of rusty cars so the body work that is needed would likely prohibit me from restoring this one.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,568 Posts
.just beware that while people love those Turbina aluminum wheels they are hard to sell.

But all the interior bits, engine, transmission, and rear axle etc are valuable.

If you're willing to part it out you can easily make your $400 back.

Where is it located?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.just beware that while people love those Turbina aluminum wheels they are hard to sell.

But all the interior bits, engine, transmission, and rear axle etc are valuable.

Where is it located?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
West Texas. West of Lubbock in a small town.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Engine, tran, rear axle, would be my first thoughts at valuable parts worth having.
The 76 engine is a bit more basic than your 83 engine but very similar and some parts are interchangeable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engine, tran, rear axle, would be my first thoughts at valuable parts worth having.
The 76 engine is a bit more basic than your 83 engine but very similar and some parts are interchangeable.
That is what I wanted to hear. I know these cars and parts will become scarcer in the future and I hope to have my car a good long time! Of course if this parts car turns out to be better than hoped then perhaps I'll fix her up as well! I just don't like rust and I am not a body person.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
If there are Weber carbs still on that engine, those may very well be worth something as well.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I bought a rusty '79 with a blown head gasket for $200.
The rear end went in to my duetto and I stashed a few parts like the steering column, the front suspension assemblies and steering components.
Other parts were sold through an ad I posted on ALFA BB and people asked for items.
Brake calipers went to Centerline as cores for new brakes on another car.
Injection pump went for $150.
Junk guy hauled the rusty hulk away and I made about $400 - 500 when it was all said and done.

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
I wouldn't use the word "easily" in a sentence about parting out a car and selling the bits. Unless donoman's '83 Alfa needs a significant part of the components from the '76, I'm not getting why buying this car to part would make sense for him. However, I can understand it if the '76 is restorable and donoman wants a project. A lot depends on whether the car has been stored indoors or out exposed to the weather: '76 Alfas didn't have much rust protection, so a few years out in the rain can be fatal. I also wouldn't take the seller's word that the engine is "good"; if it's so good, why was the car taken off the road?

donoman said:
West Texas. West of Lubbock in a small town.
Your out-of-the-way location will make parting a little harder. Any large/heavy assemblies that you sell (rear axle, transmission, engine) will probably need to be shipped. Of course, that would be at the buyer's expense, but many buyers prefer to find parts closer to home so they can transport them themselves.

·
Registered
1978 Spider 1984 Spider
351 Posts
well, these cars are not common...better they get salvaged for parts before they get crushed for scrap. And those heavy axles, trans, engine (the short block anyway) will probably work on his car if needed. brakes, radiator, starter. probably more useful spares than meets the eye.

400 firm? well if he contacted you...he is looking to sell...a crusher will offer maybe 100 if he can drag it there...I bet he will take less if it sits a bit longer.

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
And those heavy axles, trans, engine (the short block anyway) will probably work on his car if needed. brakes, radiator, starter. probably more useful spares than meets the eye.
I'm just trying to give donoman an alternative opinion from the usual "Yea, go for it!" sentiment generally posted on the BB. My own perspective may be quite different from donoman's: Here in southern California, '76 spiders and used Alfa parts ARE pretty available; what is in short supply is space to store a parts car. No doubt things are different outside of Lubbock.

While some parts from a '76 would fit an '83, the change from Spica to Bosch FI between '76 and '83 made a lot of things incompatible.

But sure, some parts that would exchange between a '76 and an '83 spider. The question is: would it make sense to swap something like a brake caliper or radiator that is in unknown condition and from a $400 car onto your '83? Or, if the caliper / radiator failed on the '83, would it make more sense to have it rebuilt / repaired? I think I would chose the latter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really hope the car is in better shape than I imagine and can be saved. I'm not 100% sold on the deal and plan on going tomorrow with a trailer in hopes it is worth getting running. He said it will need a new wiring harness also. It has been sitting outside and he said has rust in all the usual places. It is an 1.5 hour drive from here. Problem is now with our state "reopening" to a small degree I may not be able to go. I have some decisions to make for our church and senior adults!
I hate the possibility of it getting scrapped but

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I would get $400. in his hand quick. Several years ago the Alfa bug bit me and having one without a parts car is being at a disadvantage. I am always taking this and that from an '83 spider for our '85 Graduate. I paid $700. for the one I have now and have already made my money back and have barely scratched the surface. Soon I will get it out of the shed and onto the lift. If the undersides are not too bad I may make it a lil outlaw spider.
Best of luck

·
Registered
1978 Spider 1984 Spider
351 Posts
looks rough. I spent 4 years at TT...dry climate up there so rust is kinda strange, but outside and it does snow on occasion... probably better for a nearby S2 owner to pick it up.

FWIW...my rust free 75 Porsche 914 got slightly crunched years ago...I had spent thousands in parts that I had upgraded and such in preparation for a V-8 swap and body kit. I couldn't give it away after the minor accident (it still drove just fine)...I ended up parting it out over a couple years and recovered almost all my investment...

Since it was a car of limited production (about 120,000 total over lifetime ) and totally orphaned by Porsche (similar to the Spider now)...I found that most all of the usable parts had a buyer. I literally sold almost every nut an bolt off that car, around the world on ebay, there was nothing left except the unibody and that got sold for rust free sheet metal.

granted I spent some time stripping and shipping. I nowhere made what my free time was worth. But I got most all my money back out and I felt good helping other 914 owners with unobtainable parts.

I could have kept it and finished it but the body kit I wanted was discontinued. Just lost interest. Looking at Bat now I should have kept it...and lots of other cars from my past

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Spica cylinder heads can be easily modified to work on Bosch injected engine. The only difference is the extra little bit of porting for the Bosch injector. It can easily be added by a machine shop.

Trans is worth a minimum of 200.00

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Having parted out a few Spiders ( I have a garage full of parts to prove it) my advise would be....if it has parts you can use on your Spider, then it's an option.
Engines are not easily sold.. transmissions from nondriving Alfa's are to be considered rebuilders or at least teardowns. Early 4:56 differentials are not in demand.
Small interior hard to find parts are in demand...but judging by the outside location most of those parts are likely unusable.
You will end of tossing most parts. If it has a title you can sell the body to a recycler, about $50.
Shipping and selling fees: no one likes shipping costs and fees on the usual sites can exceed 15% of selling and SHIPPING cost.
Unless you can verify condition of parts they may only be useful for a day longer than the part being replaced.
I enjoy selling parts as a hobby. The owners you meet can become friends.
I hope this helps
Jon

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Having parted out a few Spiders ( I have a garage full of parts to prove it) my advise would be....if it has parts you can use on your Spider, then it's an option.
Engines are not easily sold.. transmissions from nondriving Alfa's are to be considered rebuilders or at least teardowns. Early 4:56 differentials are not in demand.
Small interior hard to find parts are in demand...but judging by the outside location most of those parts are likely unusable.
You will end of tossing most parts. If it has a title you can sell the body to a recycler, about $50.
Shipping and selling fees: no one likes shipping costs and fees on the usual sites can exceed 15% of selling and SHIPPING cost.
Unless you can verify condition of parts they may only be useful for a day longer than the part being replaced.
I enjoy selling parts as a hobby. The owners you meet can become friends.
I hope this helps
Jon
This helps immensely. I am really torn as I don't need another project. It does sound like this one may not be the best option for what I need but I may still go take a look. I have some storage space but don't necessarily want it packed with parts I may or may not need.

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
...this one may not be the best option for what I need...
Through all this discussion, you haven't really told us what it is that you need. Is it specific parts for your '83? A desire for another project? Just a desire to keep this car from getting crushed?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Through all this discussion, you haven't really told us what it is that you need. Is it specific parts for your '83? A desire for another project? Just a desire to keep this car from getting crushed?
Initially it was for some trim and the trunk lid. I like the luggage rack but don't want to drill my trunk lid. Once I saw the other pictures I knew there wouldn't be much that I could use. Then I thought about the possibility of fixing it, or parting it out, or even cleaning it up some, then listing it in the for sale section here.

The seller is moving and needs it off his property. He can't seem to find the title but the registration is in his name. I just heard from him again and he is "hoping" to find the keys.
So, all in all, unless things change for the better, I may pass. Keys are a must for me and the title is pretty high on the list.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts