Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I’m following up on a suggestion by another member about how to overcome the exorbitant cost of shipping parts from the UK.
It was to get together a list of parts required and make one large purchase maybe once a month.
It may be worthwhile looking into using a freight forwarding service rather than DHL.
I haven’t thought about how the freight charges would be split yet but details can be worked out if enough people think it’s a possibility.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are some things I would consider if we could get the freight charges down. Where are you ordering from?

·
Administrator
17,107 Posts
Alfaholics. I'm going to add more to my order, a few small things to make it seem more worthwhile, but currently a 330 pound order (boot lid) has a freight cost of 160 pounds. I do not know if this is a lot compared to my last order from them, because I cannot refind the email ... sigh

Pete

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have done this a few times with some buddies here. How we do it is on a percentage basis, take the total as 100% and say, for example, the order is 100.00, one guy buys 60.00, another buys 25.00 and the last guy gets 15.00 worth of stuff
Each guy pays his own percentage so using the 100.00( which is easy to figure for an example ) one guys pays 60%, the other fellow pay the 25% and the 15% to the last guy, We divide the brokerage fees and any other customs fees the same way Hope this makes sense to you. It works off cost rather than how many items It has worked out for us quite well

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. I was thinking along those lines. I’ll have a look tonight and see what we can come up with.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Simple math.. have each individual person who wants to place an order receive a freight quote on his part alone from the supplier... add all the individual quotes together and apply each on a percentage of that total to the whole order real freight. You can't do it fairly based on the value of the parts.

·
Premium Member
13,887 Posts
Air freight charges are not just based on weight. Air freight companies use something called dimensional weight. So, a boot lid that weights 20 kilos will cost more to ship than a small part weighing 20 kilos. So, Rick's method might be a bit more accurate.

I used a freight forwarder near the turn of the century. I elected to clear my own shipment as it was really straight forward. You could look into doing the clearing yourselves, if that is an option in NZ.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Let me tell you a story.

I have been looking for a windscreen for my Giulia Super. I friend tipped me off that a fellow Torontonian Alfisti was placing a sizable order with Alfaholics. It was agreed that my wind screen could piggy back onto the order with the idea to share the ship cost some how. BUT when it can time to ship it Alfaholics was surprised to find that the big box was going to be far to expensive to ship (by air I think) as it was. So that order was separated into small boxes and shipped that, cheaper, way By Air I believe. Blame covid. My Glass was stranded.

I then found someone who also needed glass so am now bringing 4 pieces in a special expensive box by sea.

I don't know if there is any thing to learn from this but the comments above about figuring out how to share costs considering value, size and weight are valid IMHO. Easier if parts are like in nature I think.

Ken

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't know if it applies down under. But, I buy most of my stuff from Europe. If possible, I place orders all under USD 800. Maybe I'll place three or four orders spread over a couple of weeks, instead of one larger order. The reason is duty. Under 800 flies under the rader. From this experience, I can tell you that the shipping cost is linear - meaning less cost less, and more costs more in a linear relationship to how many divisions you make in the "amount" ordered. So, unless you plan to ship LCL, or go big with FCL, I'm not sure you are going to realize much if any savings in shipping cost. You will for sure attract more attention from the customs and duty folks though.

·
Administrator
17,107 Posts
Yes worried about customs with the boot lid as will be close to $1k NZ dollars :eek:

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/duty-and-gst/whats-my-duty-estimator/ said:
Customs will not collect GST, duty or charge an Import Entry Transaction Fee (IETF) on goods valued $1000 or less, unless the goods are part of a large consignment.

This does not apply to tobacco and alcohol products - duty and GST are collected regardless of the value.

If you buy goods valued over $1000, you'll have to pay duty and GST plus the IETF and MPI levy when the goods arrive in NZ.
I'm just under this amount so @Vernolese I think I should purchase this alone, but I will wait for your reply here before I pull the trigger. I had to pay customs duty for an engine block years ago, and I will walk over nails before I pay those horrid people again!

Pete

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Pete.
Yes, I seem to have opened a can of worms here. I suppose what we could save on shipping would be counteracted by duty.
oh well, it was a good thought.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.