Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all!

2 years ago I bought myself a 74 GTV with plans to restore it. I stripped it myself, sent it off to a guy for body work. Low and behold, 2 years later, things didnt work out with the body man, my car was never touched, I'm out the deposit I left and had to collect my car before it was sent to the crusher.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/480193-just-picked-up-74-gtv-2000-what-did-i-just-get-myself-into.html

Needless to say, my patience, time and $$$ has run out on this project. So I'm going to be parting out whats left. All items are located in Los Angeles, I'd prefer local pickup for the larger items, but I can ship, if necassary. Here is a list:

-Rolling Chassis (no engine, trim, glass. suspension and wheels included) --- ON HOLD

-Front and rear seats in black vinyl, all original and in EXCELLENT condition: $1200

-Dashboard in EXCELLENT condition: $1000

-BRAND NEW sheet metal from CLASSIC ALFA: Entire nose clip, L/R outer rockers, R mid rocker and inner rocker, battery tray, R wheel arch (pm for prices)

-Rear window and trim MAKE OFFER

-Interior and exterior trim/brightwork MAKE OFFER

-Headliner HOOP and faux sunroof (the rectangle) MAKE OFFER

-Gas tank (small hole on top near screws, can be cleaned up) MAKE OFFER

-SPICA SYSTEM (pump and manifold) $300

-GAUGE POD , one broken tab, shows 12k miles (Actually correct!) - Make offer

-Engine and trans - been sitting on my driveway for almost 2 years, probably seized by now MAKE OFFER

-Driveshaft MAKE OFFER

PLEASE ASK FOR ANY OTHER PARTS!

Thanks,

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
theres a bolt with hole in it that the throttle bar uses to attach to the cable that pulls the throttle body open., I need that bolt if you have it. 10 bucks?

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Why not sell as a restoration project, so you get your money back and the car is not lost ... ?

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Some are too quick to part out. Save it, esp since the body is relatively straight, and all seems to be there. These are getting to be too rare to break up.

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Just read that the Right Whale is right on the very brink of extinction, being overfished to the extreme. Greed knows no bounds.

Rule number 1 for much of commercial fishing: fish til they are gone. Rule number two: see rule one.

Save the GTV. Like the Right Whale, once it's gone, it's really gone.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If anyone wants to make an offer on the whole shebang, be my guest! I was told over and over this car is beyond saving, unless on an unlimited budget.

The entire nose panel needs to be replaced, all 4 floors, the inner/mid/outer rocker on the passenger side, small rust holes around the front and rear windscreens, typical rust below the rear side windows, the list goes on. In the process of removing the car from the body shop, someone hooked onto the thin sheetmetal at the rear taillight opening and literally tore through the sheetmetal, so now it needs a new rear panel as well.

I'd love to sell the project as a whole, but figured its worth more in parts.

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Ok, so the body is not as good as it looks. Too bad. Still, I've seen worse looking GTVs being rebuilt.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
If anyone wants to make an offer on the whole shebang, be my guest! I was told over and over this car is beyond saving, unless on an unlimited budget.

The entire nose panel needs to be replaced, all 4 floors, the inner/mid/outer rocker on the passenger side, small rust holes around the front and rear windscreens, typical rust below the rear side windows, the list goes on. In the process of removing the car from the body shop, someone hooked onto the thin sheetmetal at the rear taillight opening and literally tore through the sheetmetal, so now it needs a new rear panel as well.

I'd love to sell the project as a whole, but figured its worth more in parts.
The repairs you are talking about are standard for every GTV restoration. Confused ...

Anyway your decision
Pete

·
Registered
229 Posts
Plus there is the thrill of completing it just to show your 1) brother 2) wife 3) neighbor 4) buddy that you have the chops.....no, the road is not often easy and its obscured by delays and tin worm but the results are worth it.

If you need inspiration, locate your local Alfa chapter and start going to cars and coffee (usually one Saturday morning a month and THEN start hanging with the guys (sorry ladies but we rarely see a female) and catch up with them at the lunch that often follows. If driving to a restaurant in a caravan of a dozen restored Alfas doesn't get your motivation up, perhaps it was just not meant to be.

Its never been easier to be a car nut. Tools that used to be pro only-plasma cutters for example, are now home hobbyist priced. If you have the room, buy the tools and you can always sell them on craigslist for close to what you paid later.

Parts/panels are not that expensive. $500 for a rear panel if the damage can't be massaged and welded back into place. It doesn't have to be perfect for a solid driver. Do your floor pans first-they are under the carpet. If I look at 4 replaced pans in my past, I can tell which was first and which was last. You will improve. You tube is a tremendous resource and it keeps me out of the bars so there is that.

I spend a lot of time at the office chained to a desk. Tinkering in garage, drinking coffee and smoking cigars while restoring a car somehow transports me and connects me to another part of my life.

Jump in-the water's fine

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey all. I really do appreciate the enthusiasm and encouragement. But the fact is, this one has just drained me. Just a bad experience all around.

I actually have a SECOND '74 GTV that was in much better shape and is close to being painted, I'll have to spend my time re-assembling that one, so I really cant handle two cars right now.

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Well, we do hope someone buys it who will make a best effort to restore the car, as the value of these cars can only go up, their rarity increasing as we speak. Selling the parts piecemeal is to surely let it die.

·
Registered
229 Posts
@ BH Classics-since you have 2; all is forgiven. Having multiple classics needing something/everything can become daunting. Believe me I know. I am feeling particularly overwhelmed myself right now-cars in the driveway, Xmas etc etc

Best wishes-I hope someone takes it as a project to restore and not part out. She looks reasonably solid

1 - 20 of 24 Posts