Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
For a 101 padded dash, front metal frame under it, that attaches in the dash holes in front. I have the same part as an extra with another, smaller part around the gauges.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a 101 padded dash, front metal frame under it, that attaches in the dash holes in front. I have the same part as an extra with another, smaller part around the gauges.
Thanks! That explains why I don't see it in the parts book.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Can someone post a picture how this part is used and how the padding should go? Thx!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$20 plus shipping and it's yours, otherwise I can measure it and post dimensions later today.

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Spider Normale, 2015 4C
21 Posts
Here is a picture of the other piece that goes with the long one.

65 Alfa Spider - Dash Pad Hdwe 6.jpg

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Spider Normale, 2015 4C
21 Posts
No, there are only the two metal pieces. Short one to the left of the gauges and long one to the right of the gauges. As it turned out, I was disassembling my dash pad yesterday, so the information is fresh. I have attached a few more pictures for reference. My dash pad was brittle and the foam under the vinyl was crumbling, so it needs to be replaced. It appears the vinyl rolls over the front of the dash top and is held by the metal strips. The vinyl just rolls over the gauge area and is not held in place by anything other than old Italian magic.:) I am assuming the original dash pad was formed and the metal strips were formed in the foam padding to make one piece that fit in place during manufacturing Replacing the dash pad will be one of my challenges too.
Bill

65 Alfa Spider - Dash Pad Hdwe 1.jpg 65 Alfa Spider - Dash.jpg 65 Alfa Spider - Dash Pad Hdwe 7.jpg

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I used this to redo the dash pad on my car. It was written up in Alfa Owner back in the 80's .. a how -to...It is a hybrid approach that really works well. In a nutshell.. The subjcet pieces secure the vinyl taut.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lots of good advice in the article (Dash 101.pdf).
Can you provide page 2 as well?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Page two is color on the windscreen .. not much there.. The old padded das has a metal foot imbedded in the foam where the mirror is attached. .. You can dig that out of the foam . It comes in handy to keep from depressing the foam when you attach the mirror.. I particularly used this on Giulias because of the molded dash.. You don't have to stitch the two pieces together at the instrument cowling .. They just lay overlapped with a stitched edge on the overlayment piece and hold tight with tension on both sides of the bigger dash cover at the two corners of the cowl

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just returned to this thread to see some more great help. I still have my original vinyl dash pad (though with a crack along the top of it from being pretty brittle) for reference for someone if needed, plus the two metal pieces. The original thin foam underneath turned to dust when I took it apart in 2017.

Yes, the original vinyl cover appeared to be molded to the dash's shape, not just wrapped with flat vinyl.

It would be really interesting to know what the process was when it all was put together. After reading the great article about Chuck Stoddard in the most recent 'Letta I wish I had known he had started selling and racing Giuliettas before the Porsches. He had to have had many direct Alfa factory informational stories to share before he passed in 2019. I had bought many 356 parts from him nearby here at his Willoughby shop in the early 80s. Sounds like he and Max were well involved with our cars and would have had many actual facts instead of guesses. Maybe my car was sold there after Hoffman brought it over, who knows? I hope to check soon if any past records exist.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts