Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok onto the home stretch. As you screw everything together the pile of bits will get smaller so its easier to know where everything goes. here are some pictures of the refinished alternator. One again all i did was clean and repaint and plate, its the same alternator; didn't even rebuild it because it was working fine. I did also replace the cam cover gasket and the little fibre washers under the cam cover bolts.

Finally you can see the complete engine. I still have to do the other side of the engine bay by removing the fuel rail, coolant tank, injectors and manifold but the process will be the same. Right now I want to use the car again.

Entire process took only 8 days of part time work. Having a clean engine makes it easier to work on, more nice to look at, easirer to spot leaks and problems, and heck is just a fun job to do.

I learned the techniques thru trial and error but its really not rocket science.

Hope you found it interesting, sorry its on four posts but I can only attach 5 pictures per post!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
wow, I am impressed, and I feel I need to go out to the garage and get started!
BTW, for future reference, if you want all pics in one post, just keep replying to your own post;);)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Wow...wow. That looks amazing. I'm not even sure it could be done to my car. People have remarked my engine bay looks good, but it looks like it should. Wow. Yours looks great. That is show worthy.

I notice a couple things not right though, or otherwise that will soon get your attention. :)

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
Beautiful work!

It gives me a fever......especially at the front of the engine where I have tried to clean the fans, pulleys, etc with little success.

A perfect winter project....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The two clamps nearest the firewall are 180 out from the rest on that hose.
Yes the positioning of some of the clamps depended on the clearance of the bonnet. Not really sure what the true as delivered position should be without seeing an engine as delivered however I did this not to put in a show or a concours but just to have a clean engine and for a bit of fun.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Great job! Makes my efforts pale in comparrison.:eek:

Just a quick question or two:
What is Panel Wipe and cellulose thinner, and would you know the equivelants on this side of the Pond???

Once again, beautiful job.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just messin' with you. It looks really good. Shows what some work and attention to detail can accomplish. In my opinion better than a lot of chrome add ons.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:(Well, I hate to be the ballbuster of the bunch but lets call a spade, a spade here. Isn't this a poor quality casting? I think the original factory ones were better and of, difference appearance.:confused:

;)

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:(Well, I hate to be the ballbuster of the bunch but lets call a spade, a spade here. Isn't this a poor quality casting? I think the original factory ones were better and of, difference appearance.:confused:

;)
Yes it is pretty crap but I was trying to cleanup the engine bay and not strip every component down. Thats why is says part one. Part two will be the injectors, manifold, rad expansion bottle and the clutch MS which may be just as easy to replace as refinish. I want to use the car however and it works fine so silly to replace at this time. If I was going to enter the car in a club concours it would have to be replaced.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I too want a clean engine

May I have your address ? I want to drop my car off at your place for a couple of weeks so you can clean my engine compartment.

By the way, I thought I'd pitch in a bit so I cleaned off the oil cap to get you started.:p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts