Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Trying to make sure a USA 2000 GTV will fit the European regulations with respect to lighting. Bit puzzled with the parking lights. The EUR version has white parking lights above the bumper next to the indicator The USA version doesn't have these white parking lights, instead it has a orange indicator below the bumper (or is that supposed to be the parking light?)

Thanks for any clarification...

For reference:

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I think the inspection process is very specific to each country, even in the EU. I think each country has retained their own safety standards and are very specific on safety and lighting. The Swiss are probably the most OCD followed by the Germans. They can pull stuff out of archives and out of another dark orfice that will boggle your mind on what should be on the car to drive on their roads. I think they take great pleasure in proving what is incorrect. I would test other owners in your market who have knowledge of the lighting subject.. But then one inspector might not be so specific as another in another district, I suppose. I'm assuming you are over there. In this country we don't sweat the small stuff as long as the light illuminates....If you can't stand the heat at a C&C over what is correct or not that is another problem or burden to get over.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are lots of US spec vintage Alfas in Europe. I haven't seen any with altered lights. So, I would think it's not an issue.

Fair enough, but is the orange USA light originaly designed as a parking light only? (Doesn’t work on mine hence I can’t verify myself)

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
They are turn signals on the US cars, as far as I know.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
...is the orange USA light originaly designed as a parking light only?
They are turn signals on the US cars, as far as I know.
The housing below the front bumpers on USA market cars contains a dual filament bulb, trade size #1157. So it serves BOTH turn signal AND parking light duties. This is why the lens is a single color.
The non-USA cars use separate bulbs for the turn signals and parking lights. Hence, the possibility of two color lenses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts