Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
heck almost all cars with a parking brake have a "self adjusting" procedure, its useualy back up and pull the e-brake a few times

as far as anyone considering a hyd hand brake and wondering the why you shouldnt?..unless its a dedicated caliper on its own closed system..if one system fails ALL OF IT FAILS, but the bigger reason is "emergency brake" is always a mechanical action as it wont "fail" from a leak

imo the biggest issue with the OE rear calipers is..if its not driven daily they eventualy stick, and at the least every weekend

·
Administrator
15,955 Posts
Re Sud brakes. My Sud was a very early Sud with the handbrake on the front, and I also raced it ... racing pads, very hard use => handbrake never worked properly. I moved the handbrake to the rear but stupidly kept the same calipers, but the way I activated the handbrake lever on the calipers in the rear was probably not optimal. I was young and stupid :)
Pete

·
Administrator
15,955 Posts
Still not a fan of these calipers. The great thing about disc brakes is they do not need adjusting. I like that, and would prefer to keep it that way :)

So if I ever bought an Alfetta, GTV6 or 75, or heck another Sud AND they required more adjusting than I'm prepared to do, noting now it would 99% likely be a road car, they would be binned. But I might be pleasantly surprised :)
Pete

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,599 Posts
Still not a fan of these calipers. The great thing about disc brakes is they do not need adjusting. I like that, and would prefer to keep it that way :)
Again, the rear calipers on the 75 are most definitely self adjusting. You need to set the clearances properly when you install new pads, but after that you should not have to touch them. They're not particularly hard to rebuild, either (honestly I find it harder to get them off the car than to rebuild them! D-mn rotor bolts...)

I found them annoying at first too until I figured out how they worked and the proper way to do the bleeding and adjustment. After that I was perfectly happy with them.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
as far as anyone considering a hyd hand brake and wondering the why you shouldnt?..unless its a dedicated caliper on its own closed system..if one system fails ALL OF IT FAILS, but the bigger reason is "emergency brake" is always a mechanical action as it wont "fail" from a leak
I'm not really sure I understand if one system fails all of it fails. Its just a simple hydraulic device tapped into the rear circuit. I can't see how that's any different to say a bias adjuster.
I do get the point of the handbrake failing if there is a leak but thats no more likely than a mechanical failure.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I'm not really sure I understand if one system fails all of it fails. Its just a simple hydraulic device tapped into the rear circuit. I can't see how that's any different to say a bias adjuster.
I do get the point of the handbrake failing if there is a leak but thats no more likely than a mechanical failure.
if that were the case you wouldnt find mechanical brakes on every car world wide still after 100+years.....at any time something can pinch or rip a fluid line, but it takes serious effort to break a cable/mechanical connection

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Dude I'm just talking about our little toys. I'm not suggesting people start converting their family cars to a different hand brakes, although the car industry is given the increasing use of electric brakes. But lets face it manufacturing decisions are based around cost.
There are literally 100's of thousands of race cars around the world with a hydraulic hand brakes. Jesus even the autodelta rally alfetta's had one.
All the work you have done on your creation and your going to argue a hydraulic hand brake is unsafe? That just doesn't make any sense.
But if we were all the same the world would be pretty dull so I'll agree to disagree and wont keep going on about it.

On the gtv6 have you tried the trick of putting the extra spings on the hand brake levers. Works a treat(y)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
not what im saying entirely, its great for "short use" ...hell youll find every drift cars got one and so does every sand rail built, the real point is that in an emergency where your brakes have failed, the mechanical can save your butt and the car....and has a few times on a few rigs i was bringing home, the mechanical system, while slow can and will stop you, hell i nursed my gtv6 home on failed MC with the e-brake about 5 miles, said mechanical e-braked saved the car when the pedal suddenly hit the floor for a redlight with cars stopped ahead

in the same vein some forklifts have a mico brake which is a HYD e-brake...the day your counting on one of those and it fails while your in front of it will make you wish they had a mechanical system

21 - 29 of 29 Posts