Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so I was going to start work on my 164LS that sat for 4 years while I worked out of town but I immediately ran into a problem. On trying to move it toplace where I can work on the engine utilizing the steps that Alfisto Steve suggested, I found out that the parking brake is frozen. Actually, it is the driver's side rear wheel that is frozen, the passenger side rear wheel is free. Is the parking brake connected to the rear calipers or is it brake shoes on the inside of the brake disc like it is on my Mercedes GL550? Do you guys have any words of wisdom for me on how to fix this? (The parking brake handle releases with no problem).

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
27,159 Posts
parking lever in caliper or cable in left cable housing to that L/R caliper frozen. It clamps pads to rotor on 164 models. You have to get a pry bar or screwdriver in between lever and caliper to release brake pads from rotor. You probably will have to safely jack up L/R under jacking point under chassir in front of left rear wheel well and remove wheel to be able to pry on parking lever. Expect wheel to be stuck to axle hub too since it has been AL wheel hub to steel axle hub for all these years.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alfisto Steve!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts