Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been chasing a one family owned '61 Spider Veloce for 25 years since I restored the body. I have made the deal. Problem is I need space to keep it dry and warm, So I am putting one or two of my special personal cars for sale to make room. These are family members and I am looking more for a home than absolute top dollar. I will only sell face to face and after a test drive.

Possibility 1: My '62 Tornado Blue Giulietta TI. Great show history and a nicely drivable unrestored original, has perfect original interior and wonderful Patina. Winner of Arnoldo Pomodoro "Most Significant Alfa Romeo" award from the Alfa Museum 2010 Concorso Italiano, First in Class and best unrestored, 2009 AROC National Convention "Veloce Nel Verde, Portland", Certificato D' Oro, 98.0 points, first in class, AROC Convention "Alfa California 2013" First in class Forest Grove Concours, 2018. Cover Car Hemmings Sports and Exotic with 6 page spread, December 2010, Feature car Hemmings motor News August 2019. The Ti has its original tool kit, owners manual and case and original Alfa key fob. One of less than 30 in North America.

Possibility 2: My '64 Giulia Normale, I am just finishing a nice cosmetic restoration on a very nice straight and rust free never hit never rusted always Oregon car. Detailed undercarriage, calibrated speedo for rally work, Generator look-alike alternator, Weber DCDH 36 (for air cleaner clearance) Hurlock Oil filter adapter, new Black paint, Red leather interior, Stayfast top, Aluminum Classic Alfa wheels with hubcaps, wood Rim Tourist Trophy steering wheel with Alfa hub and horn button, Gordon Raymond Oil pump, new Vredestine tires, Stainless bumpers

Possibility 3: Les Hurlock's old Gray '60 Spider Veloce, this is a project, the rear body is stripped and ready to have the trunk floor replaced. It comes with a real NOS Spider Trunk floor. (find another one of those)! The motor ran strong when parked and I believe still would. History is known from 1977 until now. Has a wind up clock from a Lancaster bomber in the glove box lid. (Les was a clock maker in England and worked on Rolls Royce Merlyn bomber engins during the war). As is or at any stage of completion until finished. Special restoration rate available for this one.

The way this works: is via negotiation person to person, Cash only and please don't insult me, I know what they are and what they are worth. I have time, I want the right person to have one or all of these Special cars. If you may be interested PM me. I will call you.
Bill Gillham
Jefferson Oregon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Brian,
The Veloce I'm getting is as nice as them.
If someone want's a sure show worthy / driver car, these are as good as they get. The TI is one of the best in the world and a great color to boot. It has some history with Claus Menxel who imported it 20 years ago. It had plastic covers on the seats from new until then.
Thanks,
Bill Gillham

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Bill,

I've seen 2 out of 3 of these cars, and they are all too nice for my garage. I figure whatever you're replacing them with must be truly special to be booting any of these out of your garage. Whomever takes you up on this opportunity will be very happy for sure.

bs

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
These are indeed very special cars. Bill is a skilled restorer and Alfa historian and knows what he is doing. The '62 Tornado Blue Giulietta TI is unique and rare in this original condition. Good luck Bill... On to a new adventure.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Concorso Italiano and the “Il Museo Storico della Alfa Romeo Arnaldo Pomodoro Sculpture Award.”
The Staff of the Alfa Romeo Museum has had a busy year in 2010 celebrating Alfa Romeo’s 100th Anniversary. In typical Italian fashion Art has been a prominent part of the celebration. The huge Disco Volante Bronze in Milano and the 8C Sculpture at Goodwood are examples. They also have been generous with their priceless collection of historic Automobiles. There were 7 Alfa’s from the Museum in Monterey for Pebble Beach and the Historic's.
The Museum Staff was also present in large numbers taking car of the Collection. They also had a special task set aside for Friday in Monterey. They were to award the Arnaldo Pomodoro Sculpture Trophy at Concorso Italiano for the most historically relevant Alfa Romeo present at the meet. Alfa Romeo has a long history of commissioning sculpture as awards for drivers and victories at racing events. That tradition dates to the 60’s when the factory started awarding drivers with specially commissioned sculptures by famous Italian Sculptors. I believe the tradition may be even older as the museum has a very nice collection of sculptures commemorating victories in big races.
Arnaldo Pomodoro:
Was 84 years old in 2010 (now 93) and is one of Italy’s most famous living sculptors. His works are included in prominent collections around the world, including the Vatican, Hirschhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington DC, the de Young Museum in San Francisco, and the University of California Berkley. The Pomodoro Foundation in Milano is an exhibition space housed in the old Portello works. To celebrate the Alfa Romeo Centenary Il Museo Storico della Alfa Romeo is presenting small Arnaldo Pomodoro sculptures at selected events world wide. The sculptures are presented for “Historical Relevance”. In the USA Pomodoro sculptures have been given at the California Mille and Concorso Italliano and perhaps other events as well.
AR *233859*
Is my 1962 Giulietta Ti, it has 145,734 original kilometers on it. It is Tornado Blue with a blue gray vinyl with off white brocade inserts interior. All the interior including the floor mats are original as is the carpet. It has had one re-spray and the bumpers re-chromed. The rest of the car has been maintained, cleaned and preserved. It is a car you wait a life time to find. AR*233859* was sold new in Italy in early 1963, nearly all the kilometers on the car were driven by the original owner. It was subsequently sold to a collector in Germany who stored it, un registered, for many years. It was Imported into the Detroit Area by Claus Menzel in 2002. It did not run. The car was brought back to life with a carburetor rebuild and fresh brakes, then sold to a Michigan collector. He had it painted on the outside by a shop in Detroit.
I purchased it in 2008
Concorso Italiano:
Is a jumble of everything automotive and Italian. Concorso celebrated its 25th anniversary on August 13th 2010. Alfa Romeo was the featured Marque this year. For the last two years it has been held on the Laguna Seca Golf Ranch between Salinas and Monterey. It is my favorite event during Monterey week. Judging at Concorso is casual mostly, with nice examples of each marque being asked to drive their cars up the ramp to be interviewed by Sports Car Market publisher Keith Martin. Some Marques like Ferrari provide their own judging, Ferrari show competition is fierce. All in all it is a wonderful place to see beautiful cars and to watch people.
A Friday the 13th to Remember:
Marian and I arrived early, traffic getting on to the golf course was heavy. The start and stop on the steep hill was too much for several Lamborghini’s they fried their clutches in clouds of testosterone induced smoke. The Ti wasn't happy but made the trip, with only 65 hP and a fairly heavy sedan body starting on a steep hill with a bad knee is interesting. I was steaming when I got to the hill top in 10 foot increments.
We were directed to a nice spot just outside the “Alfa 100” (Alfas spelling out Alfa 100 for an Aerial photo). After parking the TI and setting up my lawn chairs under a friendly tree I was set for my day of car and people watching. The TI got a fair amount of attention mostly I think because of its color which is Tornado Blue. Several times during the day a group of gentlemen all wearing the same Sienna colored tee shirts came by and looked the car over, discussing this and that in what was obviously Italian. The shirts said “Museo Storico della Alfa Romeo” across the back. They also spent considerable time examining several of the other cars on the field. Finally I couldn’t stand it any more and went to visit with them. They asked about the car and it’s story, and what had been done to it. I answered truthfully. After looking some more, the oldest of the Italians pointed to the bolts holding on my hood “These should be blue” he said. (They are now!). As the day wore on cars were called to cross the ramp. We hadn’t gotten asked. I was closing the hood when one of the Italians came up to me and said “I have good news, we have selected your car for the Museum Award! Please bring it to the ramp.”
Keith Martin and the Museum Staff:
After a fairly long wait we finally got to cross the ramp. Marian and I were introduced by Keith Martin and asked to get out of the car for the presentation. I have to admit that I wondered why my lowly sedan was selected over many more aristocratic Alfa’s that were in attendance. I would have chosen Jon Shirley’s 8C 2900. The two Museum curators who gave the award explained it, while the races and sports cars gave Alfa Romeo its flash and fame, it was the sedan that kept the factory working. Giulietta Berlinas saved Alfa Romeo after the war! My sedan was chosen because of it’s originality, state of preservation and because it was a Giulietta Berlina. It was the experience of a lifetime, Marian and I were overwhelmed. Both Arnaldo Pomodoro Sculptures, given in 2010 in the USA went to Giulietta Berlinas, my friend Claus Menzel got the other one at the California Mille with his ‘55 Berlina.
Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car Magazine:
Hemmings featured the TI in their December 2010 issue. We spent several hours after leaving Concorso at a nearby cul-de-sac with editor David La Chance doing a photo shoot and interview for the article.
A link to Hemmings December 2010 artical on my TI - "The Italian Girlfriend"

file:///Users/bill/Desktop/Work%20pictures/'The%20Italian%20Girlfriend'%20%7C%20Hemmings%20Mo tor%20News-1.webarchive

What a day! - Bill Gillham

·
Registered
869 Posts
Bill is the master! I have seen all of the Alfa's he's mentioned and they truly are specials. Opportunities like this do not come very often, if only the slightest bit interested, you should contact Bill.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Bill,

How I wish you had been selling your '64 Giulia Spider back in '14 when I was looking for one; what a beautiful car!

Question: Did black with red Giulia Spiders ever come with a red drape, or were they always black?

Your TI sedan is truly an incredible automobile and probably needs to be in a museum as I would be afraid to even take it out of the garage!

I'm surprised they're not already sold!

Ray

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ray,
I don't think so, I have a 1600 Veloce here right now, white with Red, original drape is black and still useable.
The rear Quarter panels are black too. I have seen this combo before.
Bill

·
Administrator
3,725 Posts
I will add my 0.02 Lira's worth to Bill's posts... As a sedan owner with a '61 Series II Ti G.d in the collection alongside the Sprints & Spiders, I can truly appreciate the little jewel that is Bill's Series III Ti.

According to Fusi, page 859 Alfa's production numbers on the Giulietta variants were:

• 17096 Spiders & Spider Veloce's
  • 27142 Sprints and Sprint Veloce's
  • 39057 Berlina's
  • 92728 Ti's including the RHD & CKD
Ninety two thousand Ti's, they truly were the mainstay of Giulietta production, consider there were almost as many Berlina's made as Sprint & Spider variations combined... adding the Berlina & Ti variants together gives a total of 131783 sedans. So where are these one hundred and thirty one thousand sedans ?? Lost in the mists of time, rusted, abandoned and stripped for parts to build Sprints & Spiders. The Ti is the more powerful version with essentially the same mechanical spec as a Sprint or Spider Normale, albeit with slightly de-tuned cams for better low down torque - it was expected to carry Pappa, Mamma, Nonna & the bambini with all their luggage & at least 2 bottles of Chianti. It's essentially a Sprint with 4 doors, takes a vast amount of luggage in the trunk, ours has been on several Giulietta Tours, has taken myself & a friend 800 miles to a bike ride with 2 retro steel bikes in the back after taking the seat cushion out... we're going the same bike ride in March with the Ti again. Our dogs love driving to the beach in the Ti with a window for each of them to look out of. I use it... lots, girls want to go to proms in it, people stop me to take pictures, everyone waves... Sprints and Spiders are plentiful, try find a Ti.... now try find a good one, it took me 20 years to get ours (which when I finished rebuilding I promptly gave to my lovely wife, but that story was told in the Giuliettaletta at the time). Hoffman never brought them into the USA, missed opportunity back then, they are superb to drive with the excellent ride quality you would expect from a Giulietta.

Bill's one is simply superb, very original & sympathetically maintained by the Marque expert, the discerning buyer who adds this little jewel to their collection will be a fortunate Alfista indeed.

Ciao
Greig

No affiliation, not even on the same continent as Bill

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Pictures of the TI
Hi Bill, Don Johnson here. I'm working on a 66 1600TI and I would like to follow the color combination of your Giulietta TI. I see the exterior is Tornado Blue, do you remember the paint code #? and really interested in the interior blue with grey seats and panels. Do you remember what colors they are? Thanks really appreciate this information. Beautiful cars, been following you foe a while. Good luck with the sale of your exceptional Alfas.

DJ

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DJ,
AR - 321, I believe PPGand Glasurit can mix it. The upholstery in the TI is original 1962 and I have no information on what or where Alfa got the materials. However the brokade is very nearly the same pattern as a '57 Chevy, but white not black.
Ciao,
Bill

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DJ,
AR - 321, I believe PPGand Glasurit can mix it. The upholstery in the TI is original 1962 and I have no information on what or where Alfa got the materials. However the brokade is very nearly the same pattern as a '57 Chevy, but white not black.
Ciao,
Bill
Dj I just checked my color tag on the TI it is AR319 not AR 321.
Bill

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Thank you Bill, I will put that in my notes. Some of these colors are hard to find in person. We have many Alfas down in SoCal but I have still not seen many of the other colors besides the usual reds, greens and some blues.

Thanks Again Bill
DJ

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just found my file on the TI that I got from Claus when I bought it. I have copies of the original invoice for the Italian first Owner in Torrino, Import papers and the Certificate of Origin from the Alfa Romeo Archives, It turns out the car is actually a January of '64 build, Sold in Febr. '64. Color is Bluette AR327. So much for my memory.
Bill Gillham

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Hi Bill, that's a great find. I thought it looked like Bluette, hard to tell for sure in a picture. I ended up not buying the 66TI it was going to be a large commitment putting it back together. Found a really nice 67 Super instead for a great price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts