Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off the parcel shelf today to add a fire extinguisher mount and discovered that some rust had started near the passenger side seat belt mount. I haven't really had to deal with any rust yet so I'm wondering what would be the best course of action here?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,724 Posts
apart from cutting it out and welding in a new patch (means you have to get all that wiring well out of the way)...............my simple choice would be to investigate just how much rust there is......so dig the rust out (screwdrivers, hammer, electric drill, dremel.........whatever's at hand!), dig it down to shiny clean metal....just to see what you have left over..............maybe you have just a few small holes that can be temporarily plugged with a rubber grommet:)........main thing is the rust bug is dug out and treated with something like POR15 on both sides.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You are generally on the right track; in humble opinion, all rust if it is really bad and through the metal should be replaced; items having surface rust or pitted type rust is an individual call.. The main thing is FIRST: Determine what caused the rust; the extent of the rust and how serious; structure around, behind, and near the rusted portion. If it is on sress points or structure, you had better be fabricating, welding and sheet metal if not surface type.

Looking at the general area, you should clear everything away and see how much surface spread has occurred. The picture of the opening looks like it has been there a time and has flaking rust layers, may be in a double wall area and possible stress area.

The treatments such as Por-15 are only as good as the total rust area (I do mean in, around and behind) as you clean it. Think of rust as cancer and treat accordingly. preparation and finishing is important; you are asking any treatment to first turn rust to an inert oxide is usually a mild acid wash; then final preparation and clean out; then sealing.

I have done two or more cars with rust and have on occasion say I had done enough; you guessed it, the rust came back within a few years. If in doubt cut, replace, replace structure, etc. Always take your time and look to make sure you are getting into all the rust and treating it according to what the rusted area is telling you.

Not as bad as you may think: Only difficult if you have not done it before.

Will be watching with interest.

Steve

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Clean it up and treat it with one of the rust encapsulators. The reason it's there is probably because the drain tube for the channel at the base of the convertible top is clogged or the drain tube itself is torn or got pulled out of the exit and is draining to the spot where you see the rust.. You'll have to lift the vinyl cover over the channel and try to blow it out with air or peek in the quarter panel and see if you can spot the tube.

The bottom line with rust like this: the idea of cutting that section out and welding in a new one - well, that's just plain crazy. Unless you are laying awake at night worrying about future generations who might end up owning this car. I'm pretty sure you can get many years of enjoyment out of this car with just a little bit of treatment. The main thing is to address the cause of the corrosion and put a stop to it.

The only thing I would be concerned with in this case is to make certain the corrosion has not compromised the integrity of the seat belt anchor point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried clearing as much rust as possible and it seems its much worse than I thought. There was no rust when I had the shelf off three months ago so I'm not sure what happened. I worry that the rust is so close to the seatbelt mounting point.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
That rust appears to have been inside for sometime; coming through the metal probably took time for it to appear within the last three or so months. I have not worked on my Alfa for a couple of years and have not gone into this area except to know the side drains come out there and the area does look like it has been plugged.

I need a refresher on what is around this area including the seat belt mounts, what is behind that rubber cover and does it go over past the joints to the right. Is this area double or single wall? What is on the other side?

I will jack up my spider and take it apart in this area to see what it may consist of and other related items. We have to investigate how far the rust has spread laterally and where the metal has strength. Just looking at this picture, the area may have some strong metal after the dirt and rust is cleaned off. What ever has to be done should be faced now otherwise you may be setting up for more rust down the line in a few years.

Let's not get into anything else except determining the spread and extent of the rust; or, where do we get good strong metal.

I have seen far worse and you will know what you have got once you "ever so slowly investigate" the cancerous area. Do not be in a hurry and there are many people on this board who will help you.

Ask questions if you do not know and we will see if we can answer them or give you some ideas, etc.

I have to be in that area anyway on my Spider to check out the wiring, sensors, hoses, etc relating to the fuel/vapor/ignition systems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts