Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere on the AlfaBB I recently saw photos of a panhard rod installation on a 105 series car. As I recall mention was made of the source that offers components to carry out this installation. Anyone that can offer information on such a souce or lead me to those photos of installation would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Keep in mind that either of these are very noisy on a street car. Both versions use solid heim or unibal joints, and the hard connection transmits quite a bit of noise - every bump sounds like a hammer on the body.

Also, Watts especially and some versions of Panhard get in the way of the parking brake, so most often it's removed. Another not-so-good idea for a street car.

OTOH, it makes a big difference in handling IF you get all the other front end geometry things right. Got to get the right caster and camber, do the bump-steer adjustment, etc.

I find that the lowered car that goes well with this stuff hits the ground a lot on many streets. The drainage dips at intersections can whack the oil pan right off!

And the car will corner like its glued down!

Really Jeckle-and-Hyde!!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Keep in mind that either of these are very noisy on a street car. Both versions use solid heim or unibal joints, and the hard connection transmits quite a bit of noise - every bump sounds like a hammer on the body.

Also, Watts especially, and some versions of Panhard, get in the way of the parking brake, so most often it's removed. Another not-so-good idea for a street car.

OTOH, it makes a big difference in handling IF you get all the other geometry things right. Got to get the right caster and camber, do the bump-steer adjustment, get the spring rates right, adjust the shocks (yellow Konis front at medium, reds at rear dead soft), use the right sway bars F&R, etc. Be sure to weld in reinforcements on the body at the steering and idler box mounts and sway bar mounts. Use a frame stiffener for a spider. And picka good tire. And....... (How full is your wallet? Spend it!)

I find that the lowered car that goes well with this stuff hits the ground a lot on many streets. The drainage dips at intersections can whack the oil pan right off!

And the car will corner like its glued down! Then you discover you don't have enough power, adn need to redo the engine and change the TX ratios and modify the diff LS pack......

Really Jeckle-and-Hyde!! Some days I wish for the sweet agility of a stock Spider with skinny tires!

(Yeah, I've got most of this stuff on my Duetto! I get to pretend I'm still a racer from 4 decades ago.....)

Robert

·
Registered
563 Posts
Really not necessary IMO for a street car - too harsh, heim joints not great with road muck etc.... a well setup car with standard geometry is perfectly adequate (and cheaper) for a street car. Fancy linkages.... racing only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts