Alfa Romeo Forums banner

201 - 220 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Looking really really good Bill!
I bet you wince every time you have to bend one of those tabs back to secure a cable, in case the paint cracks!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Yep, the paint is guaranteed to crack on those tabs. What a bad idea those were. At least most of the tabs have the black plastic/rubber sleeves to cover them up.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Somewhere, it's warm and dry......

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
Today, the remainder of the short block was disassembled. Here are shots of the liners for anyone who hasn't seen what the rubber O ring looks like as well as the corresponding hole in the block.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #206 (Edited)
This is an experiment to see if the door hardware can be refurbished a bit. The striker plate was scuffed down to remove oxidation. This also removed the gold zinc coating, so a coat of clear lacquer was applied. Since this car will not be a "points" car, I think it's a good look for little time & effort and no money. :) I'm not sure if the clear lacquer will keep the metal from rusting for very long, but the car will only be driven on nice days. Stay tuned...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Bill,

Looking good!!!! Been following your thread for a while and it helps motivate me to keep up with my projects. I too had Jet Hot redo my exhaust manifold and expected something a little less on the bling side but it looks good with the polished cam cover. I have about 300 miles on the manifold now and no noticable change in the glitter.

I give up what color did you have the car painted? It looks great on my monitor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Are you going to put in new pistons and liners?
Yes, a set of Borgo 10.4:1 pistons w/liners are waiting on the shelf. I need to measure the crank and other pieces to figure out what machine work is needed, if any. Also, I'd like to have the block hot-tanked to clean all the oil passages.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Bill,

Looking good!!!! Been following your thread for a while and it helps motivate me to keep up with my projects. I too had Jet Hot redo my exhaust manifold and expected something a little less on the bling side but it looks good with the polished cam cover. I have about 300 miles on the manifold now and no noticable change in the glitter.

I give up what color did you have the car painted? It looks great on my monitor.
Holy cow! Your picture is like Future-Cam. Now I have a target to shoot for. Nice engine compartment.

By the way, the color is late model Ferrari Rosso Corsa. It looks like true red in some light, and looks a bit orange under bright light especially with a camera flash.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
I have two sets now for my red, and both suffer the same issue, peeling or bubbling chrome.
I just spoke to my chroming guy and he says he can redo the chrome on them for $60 each. That sounded ok, but I have to strip them to their bare components. The problem I have is the rivits that hold the bulbholders in.
Gotta figure it out!
I just did the magnet test and the tail lamp housings are plastic, as you probably figured out already. The plating process is different than for metal. $60 sounds like a decent price. I may take mine along to the plater for an estimate, along with some other bits.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Inside Rear View Mirror.

The mirror was a dusty, tarnished mess. It was easy to disassemble and clean all the pieces, including the glass and the mirror. The housing looks much better with a coat of SEM Trim Black paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #216 (Edited)
The weather was finally decent this past weekend, so the car was rolled out into the driveway to catch some fresh air! I spent a lot of time doing some color sanding and using the electric buffer on the paint. I have quite a ways to go yet.

In the meantime, on to some "feel good" stuff, including a trial fit of the rear bumper. Always trial fit parts before painting the car. For some reason, I never did the rear bumper and found out that there are extra attachment brackets. Looks like holes will need to be drilled. Does anyone know what fasteners to use? Looks like a stack of washers or spacers will be needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #217 (Edited)
Ah, and now for the "feel good" stage with the tail lamps, rear bumper and (optimistically) the license plate. It's starting to look like a real car. The trunk lid needs to be adjusted lower, but not until the rubber overslam bumpers are installed. Also, the license lamps and "Alfa Romeo" & "Inezione" scripts are still at the chrome plater.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
making some good progress there Bill, lookin' good!!!!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #219 (Edited)
Some more feel-good stuff. Here is the engine block after being hot-tanked. It will never be this clean again. Should I polish it? :D Advance Auto Parts had a bottle of "Gasket Remover" that you spray on and let sit, then carefully scrape off the gasket. I'll be trying that soon. The hot tank chemicals weren't powerful enough to remove the residual gasket material. The shop said that the EPA took away all their good chemicals and left them with "Lemon Pledge soap suds." :p

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #220 (Edited)
Here's the crankshaft after a visit to a crankshaft shop. Fortunately, it measured within the original factory specs, so all it needed was a good cleaning and polishing.

Attachments

201 - 220 of 402 Posts