Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will anyone here be joining the Alfa train in San Juan Capistrano?

·
Registered
913 Posts
onethumb said:
Will anyone here be joining the Alfa train in San Juan Capistrano?
That's our plan. We'll hang on for the picnic, then bail. I figure to wait somethere just east of the I-5 on the Ortega Hwy.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bruce Colby said:
That's our plan. We'll hang on for the picnic, then bail. I figure to wait somethere just east of the I-5 on the Ortega Hwy.

Oooh...I don't suppose you'll be bringing one of your TS cars? :)

My TS engine is on it's way across the pond, and I'd love to crawl around one of yours for a bit!

Stacy Faught
'87 Spider Quad (eager to test new tires)
'78 Alfetta Sport Sedan (patiently waiting for a TS)

·
Registered
913 Posts
onethumb said:
Oooh...I don't suppose you'll be bringing one of your TS cars? :)

My TS engine is on it's way across the pond, and I'd love to crawl around one of yours for a bit!

Stacy Faught
'87 Spider Quad (eager to test new tires)
'78 Alfetta Sport Sedan (patiently waiting for a TS)
Actually the plan is to drive the spider. However, you're more than welcome to come down and have a look at both of the TSs. Just PM me; I'm sure we can work out a time.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just found my copy of the event flyer for this and it says:

Option #1: join us at the I-5 and Hwy. 74 in San Juan Capistrano at about 10 AM.

So at least we have a target time to work with.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Rendezvous - Ortega Hwy

You southern folks should decide where we northerners will meet up with you. Gas station? Knowing us we will all want to stop and get out and look at each other's cars before continuing on to Winchester and the cheese stop.
And remember lunch is from YOUR picnic basket. Nice picnic area at the park in Idlywild Bring a couple of bucks for the Entrance Fee.
It is NOT impolite to look at someone elses lunch and ask to sample. We always bring too much food, an Alfa tradition.
See you Saturday morning.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I wish I knew what was at/near the Rt 74 exit but I don't. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, I live just off the 74, about 1/2 mile east of the 5 :D

On the east side of the 5, there is a Chevron (there is also one on the west side, so...). There is also a hotel and a Denny's there. A bit further down the road (200 yards), there is a convience store with a small deli on the south side of the road, and on the north side of the road is a car wash/oil change place, a starbucks, a B of A atm, and a reasonably nice Italian place called Tannins. The Gnocchi there is quite good (although not as good as Capriccio in Mission Viejo--that place is worth a trip on it's own...best Italian food EVER).

I digress...

1/4 mile further, on the north side, is where I live....so if anyone is having car issues at that time, I can provide garage space and a decent selection of tools and fluids (for the car, or adult beverages if required--I suppose this depends on the nature of the problem!).

According to the sheet, the planned meeting point is at the Chevron on the east side of the 5. There is a parking area type thing nearby. I would probably suggest the convience store just a few yards down the road, though--parking lot is bigger, and the one person who always forgets sunscreen can get some (the Chevron doesn't have a store---it's just a gas station). It's all the same to me, however...

Stacy Faught
'87 Spider Quad (itching to run around)
'78 Alfetta Sport Sedan (jealous of the Spider)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Breaker, breaker, looks like we got us a CONVOY, little buddy! I'm sure we'll all get together somehow- I mean if you see a bunch of Alfas drive by (wherever you're waiting), engage your drivetrain, push the go pedal, and join the fun!

The (east side of the 5 freeway) Chevron will be a stoping spot for some folks arriving from Palms (El Lay) who want to top off their petrol supply. So as we're rolling out of there, we'll look for other tourers, and honk/flash/wave madly as we rumble on.

If anyone has a question, my cell phone is 714/642-1593.

Also, another thought: The CHP patrols the Ortega Highway with mobile radar; not that we would break any laws (heavens!), but some nimble motorcycle riders have been known to do some serious time trials on that road...

Bonus thought, at no extra charge: it will be warm, so make sure your cooling system is happy.

Cheers!

Jim Barrett

1982 Suede-No-More-Mobile (aka GTV6)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Cobralfa said:
... it will be warm ...
Actually, it looks like it might be a bit damp if I'm to believe the weather forcast I just heard. If that's the case, we'll be driving the blue GTV (TS) and onethumb can check it out. We'll see everyone at the Chevron station at about 10.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Well Paul didn't need the umbrella. It was overcast and occasionally looked like it might rain. But it didn’t, at least not on Saturday. We had a fine run from Capistrano to Idyllwild. Sure, Hemet was a pain, but at least we didn't crawl through the downtown section. The picnic was a site to behold. It's hard to figure how so much food could have been packed into the Alfas (plus Audi & Jag I think). Maybe some who were staying in Palm Springs weren't planning on wearing clean cloths on Sunday because there is no way they could have had room to pack any. Unfortunately we couldn't stay to find out. We did make the run down to Palm Springs but turned around at the Desert Museum and headed home. We hadn’t planned on doing the downhill run but there was time and it meant we could drive back up. Jim and Elyse Barnett deserve a big THANKS for doing all the planning. Maybe someone else has some pictures they can post.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, finally got around to downloading these....

This is only about half the group, but it's the best shot that I have :)

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, here's another red one. 2 out of 15, though.

And a red horse from Sunday afternoon, too...not sure if that counts or not..

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
More Pics

More pics of cars, scenery, and for all of you who didn't make it that far, the tram ride and snow at the top. Too bad I didn't take a pic of Jim's custom snow shoes, aka flip flops. It was in the high 70s in PS on Sunday morning and snowing faintly at the top of the tram.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts