Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Good day,

Owner of my first Alfa a 1600 GT Junior 1972 model - complete restoration.

After months and loads of $$ spent preparing the body the paintshop has asked me to let them know what color we are going to paint the car and I need to let them know within the week...

Original color was Cava Beige which I dislike.
Car was then repainted red.

I have narrowed it down to the options listed above & below :
1. AZZURRO LE MANS // AR-348
2. BLUETTE // AR-327
3. GRIGIO (I do like the idea of the GRIGIO GRAFITE // AR-716 but it seems that it was not available in 1972, the ANTHRACITE INGLESE // AR-736 was, but I am struggling to find any pictures. Was it a special order?)
4. RED // AR-501 (Assume this is the correct paint code for my car, looking for the Reddest and brightest red year correct red (with no orange in it).

If you have any cars with the above colors please post them.

Kindly do not suggest other colors, as I am a very indecisive person and it will only confuse me more :)

Appreciate all your help!!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Boy does this sound familiar. Beige Cava originally. Repainted Red. Lots of money spent. Went Bluette and adore it. I've posted pics on other threads but here are a few. This color changes A LOT. Pics are very hard. I went to an authorized Glasurit dealer to be sure I had the right formula which I then had matched by the factory to 2 stage "Line 55". I trusted my body/paint shop a LOT but needed to handle the paint myself. They had no problem with me buying it and delivering to them. Get ready for that bill too...

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you are going to paint it AR501 look at the chromatic color chips and pick the one that matches the 501 standard, Most automotive paint formulas have several alternate formulas that have the same paint code. 501 is tricky because you can go to purple or blue if you move too far from the orange. When I painted my Stepnose AR501 the painter and I spent 8 man hours and countless spray outs to get the color just right "for me". It is also best to use the paint line that the painter is best with.

IMG_0990.jpeg IMG_6523.png

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I'm not going to post a picture of the AR716. Not because I don't like it but because it is impossible to capture what it looks like on camera. It is my favorite, it is almost like a shifting color in that it absorbs and reflects whatever it is near - green grass, blacktop, blue sky, etc. In general I prefer darker colors with GT's as they enhance the subtle body lines.

Then again, they look great in any color ( with the possible exception of Beige Cava...).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not going to post a picture of the AR716. Not because I don't like it but because it is impossible to capture what it looks like on camera. It is my favorite, it is almost like a shifting color in that it absorbs and reflects whatever it is near - green grass, blacktop, blue sky, etc. In general I prefer darker colors with GT's as they enhance the subtle body lines.

Then again, they look great in any color ( with the possible exception of Beige Cava...).
Please do send us what you got...

·
Registered
544 Posts
What’s wrong with computer beige ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What color is the interior going to be?
Depends on the outside color :)

Boy does this sound familiar. Beige Cava originally. Repainted Red. Lots of money spent. Went Bluette and adore it. I've posted pics on other threads but here are a few. This color changes A LOT. Pics are very hard. I went to an authorized Glasurit dealer to be sure I had the right formula which I then had matched by the factory to 2 stage "Line 55". I trusted my body/paint shop a LOT but needed to handle the paint myself. They had no problem with me buying it and delivering to them. Get ready for that bill too...

Thanks, looks very nice, some more pics please!
Would you 3rd attachment be the right one to give to my paintshop?

Piss off. They look amazing in red.
Haha you guys are funny.
I promised myself not to paint it red... Still is the best color for this car though.
And inevitably you always have to compare it with red...

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I do not take a knee jerk anti red stance. Its funny how one can grow to feel red is sooo common by spending much time online, then realize you nearly NEVER see these cars in the flesh, regardless of color. In other words: easy to over think it.

All that said, I believe you have a fantastic short list of colors and its worth considering the less common ones. Afterall when you depart from the factory color nothing is holding you back! Its also a fascinating experience to find the right shade and paint a car a less common color. I get people stopping me and asking about Bluette all the time and personally enjoy watching it change with the light and seasons.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Here are a few more pics. Yes the formula is correct if you want to use two stage paint. Like oil debates I know better than to stick my nose into that one, suffice to say my painter who does pre war Concourse cars, Blue chips muscle, Euro exotica, looked at me sideways when I asked about single stage. I got it matched in two and never looked back. I consider myself a retro grump and originalist and do not find the two stage to look like a modern honda etc. Important to note I used Glasurit clear coat as well as base.

1.JPG
Photo Apr 01, 7 12 11 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 01, 6 52 18 PM.jpg
Photo May 02, 3 23 04 PM.jpg
Photo May 04, 7 31 23 PM.jpg

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here's 501 red in a photo done by a car show professional photographer. It is the best photo of my '71 GTV in terms of the photo color being true to life.
I hope that helps re: 501.

2019-San-Marino-Motor-Classic Sports Car Digest.jpg

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Wow those gta-r cars are getting really incredible. I agree - the photos feel very familiar. Good representation of Bluette.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts