Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready to 'paint' my camel colored interior panels black. I was told - *by roadtrip I think* That this could be done.

Any suggestions on what type of spray can stuff? Brand?

Also - my top cover is Vinyl, but my door panels are leather. I'd just as soon attempt to use the same door panels, and I f I screw them up buy new vinyl ones.

Is it OK to paint leather the same was as vinyl?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Painting vinyl

I just went to an upholsterer this morning who said he could dye my camel-colored door panels black and I'd never notice the difference. I don'tknow about painting them. You might check with a good auto upholsterer first.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
You can paint them, but it seems like RT provided a link from a Ferrari page that was very informative on dying leather. The vinyl paint works excellently on surfaces that don't flex much (dashboards, center consoles, and door panels). Flexing surfaces can be done, but are more likely to peel. And preparation on flexible surfaces (i.e tonneau cover if you fold her) will be more extensive to get good adhesion. Here is the link for dying:

From the Ferrari page on leather dye technique

In regards to brands, I have used plasticote with success. Don't use Duplicolor as its too thin and does not adhere as well. Get a matt finish for door panels and satin for tonneau. You will also need acetone to prep the surface to remove all oils prior to vinyl painting.

I will say that the finish of dying will be superior and more as original than vinyl painting. Another problem w/ vinyl painting will be avoiding a gloss finish appearing. I did some sun visors with success by extended distance light coating. Don't try to conceal the old color in one coat. Multiple light coats brings best results and reduces gloss. If you mess up, the acetone will remove the paint and you can start over.

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts