Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going with the RedNeck paint booth this time. Due to rookie mistakes the first time I decided to do it again. The paint I used the first time had powdered aluminum in it and I painted it with the doors off. When I did the doors I didn't mix it up enough and the doors were a slightly different shade and it bugged me. This also gave me a chance to do some metal work I wasn't comfortable doing back then. We've come a long way! I'm using a single stage Nason and the gloss is just as good as any clear coat I've used. The primer is a new one for me also. It's a high build with hardener and gives a nice base for the enamel. The paint booth will have filtered air so hopefully a great finish.

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
I painted my Giulia Super in an airplane hangar in 1980. I didn't sweep up well or wet the floor, and I paid for it in little bits of junk in the paint. This is a nice little setup you've created.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andrew, I also have paid that price and it's a drag especially after all the prep work. This isn't costing anywhere near what a shop would charge so I don't mind buying lots of pvc and visqueen and my time is free. I have already painted the lower valances front and back below the bumpers and the rocker panels because they will be to low when I do the rest of the car especially the roof. I can't get over the exceptional gloss with the Nason paint. It must have something to do with the hardener which has the viscosity of syrup. The can says it does anyway. That gave me a chance to get to know my new gun I got on sale from Eastwood. If what I've done so far is any indication it blows my old HF gun out of the water big time. Wasn't hard to rationalize given the effort put into the booth.

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
Yes, sure. I just had a $4000 paint job done on my Super which means a mediocre job here (coastal Calif). A good job is $10,000 and up in the Bay Area, generally. You can do a lot of home work for that.
My 1980 paint job was $50 in paint and supplies and $300 to a shop for stripping and rust removal. And a ton of my time.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now the wet sanding can begin. Two fans bringing filtered air in, one fan in box sending filtered air out, light mounts, and a door.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
That's a great setup!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. I've made a few modifications that have improved the result like moving the door next to the exhaust fan for one.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I almost didn't want to break down the booth it worked so well but all things must pass. Also since the Berlina is the only car I can take Smokey in for his car rides it needs to get back on the road.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not exactly a stock color but it's a dark red almost the blood red of the Giulia QV I saw in a show room. The color is a Nason 882450 Dark Cherry. You can't see it in the photos but there is flake in there when the sun hits it. And thanks for the kind words!

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few, under 10 as best I recollect. You're right though metallic is tricky. The new gun from Eastwood helped and I am going to do the hood again. The metallic does have a few splotches, just enough to make me want to do it again. I was surprised the the paint was only 39 bucks a quart but I think the girl at the paint store was hitting on my by giving me a dealer price:)

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

It's back together!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Love the colour and you have done a great job with it...

Doesn't look too far from some standard Alfa colours (eg. Ruby Metallic AR534 - like my GTV!)

1750 Berlina's look great but i might be a little biased.

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Clear would be perfect and now I'm wondering why I didn't think of that. I'll get right on it. :)
Trying to decide on a color is like marriage except worse. Fortunately I'm as happy with the color now as much as I was disappointed in the color I painted it the first time. I really like the dark red on a Berlina as much as I like AR 343 Dutch Blue on a GTV. Guess I'm biased as well. Thanks for the kind words for sure!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts