Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's me again! Still searching. The other day I went down to Oregon and almost bought a Milano Verde but of course it was in pretty crap shape.

Now I'm seriously considering a 164 again. It's in nice shape but will need some work like most old cars.

Quick question...I know a GREAT paint job can be quite expensive. But for what price can you get a decent pain job on a 164?

I wouldn't spend $5000 or more but maybe take it somewhere like Maaco in Seattle and pay half that. Wouldn't be perfect obviously.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If it's in your budget, go for it. Richard is very correct though! There is going to be mechanical expense that you have to account for.

There was a thread on paint a while back. There were satisfied Maaco customers with paint jobs in the few/several hundred dollar range. Pro body shop jobs were in the 2-3 thousand range.

You can probably find any price in between. It'll cost no more to paint a 164 compared to anything else.

·
Premium Member
16,010 Posts
I had my 91S repainted several years ago by a very good independent shop in the Seattle south end. paying a little over $3000 (probably would be a little more now, I'm sure). I could easily recommend that shop, if you want, as the paint job turned out to be excellent.

While I agree that it is best to have the car mechanically in good condition for reliability, it sure is nice to have the car look great visually. It does give you more incentive to do the services and repairs as required. My own opinion is that for most people (Richard obviously an exception, knowing him as I do), a tired looking car just doesn't tend to get the services/repairs needed.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an opportunity to buy a Q that's in decent but not great shape. Sputtering but not blown head gasket. Almost all the electrical works. A/C was repaired (long laundry list of parts for that work). The spoiler clear coat is toast. Engine issue is fuel pump related or maybe cam belt. $4000 .... It's for sure a Q.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Are you going to be doing all the mechanical work on whatever car you end up with?

If not, head work gets pricey. I know from a slipped belt and a $2300 donation to a mechanic. May not want to start that car up too much if there's a question about the timing belt. Don't want to sound like I'm assuming anything about your talent, just trying to get an idea where you're at.

I had a few things done on mine by a mechanic. I'm about a paint jobs cost away from being close to what alfissimo Jason wants for his beautiful white car on his site. It adds up. All the little odds and ends add up if nothing has been done to the car for over 10 years.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm fortunate to have a great Alfa mechanic whose overhead is minimal. He works on my Spider and other cars too. Car has basically sat for two years. Pretty darned sure the head gasket isn't blown.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a Q that's in decent but not great shape. Sputtering but not blown head gasket. Almost all the electrical works. A/C was repaired (long laundry list of parts for that work). The spoiler clear coat is toast. Engine issue is fuel pump related or maybe cam belt. $4000 .... It's for sure a Q.
A $4000 Q that needs work and paint? Personally I'd be looking for one that drove 100% for around $6000. $4000 seems high if it's got electrical issues.

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
I know a GREAT paint job can be quite expensive. But for what price can you get a decent pain job on a 164?
Sorry, but inexpensive paint jobs just don't last. The only way that shops can cut corners is to allocate fewer hours to preparation, use cheaper materials, and apply fewer coats. The result will be a car that looks OK when it leaves the shop, but that will go dull, begin to crinkle, ... after a year or two in the sun.

So the challenge isn't getting the car to look good; its painting it in such a way that it continues to look good for several years. That's what is tough to do on the cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
My personal experience was that I wanted all of the mech stuff done before I attacked any body "stuff". I'd suggest getting the car, a car or whatever you wind up with and then press. Paint and body is paint and body and you'll save a ton doing the prep yourself. Or at least a good amount of it. ciao, jc

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I wouldn't spend $5000 or more but maybe take it somewhere like Maaco in Seattle and pay half that. Wouldn't be perfect obviously.
We had a metallic green 164L painted for my son at Maaco and was amazed how well the job turned out, for about $750. At the time they had some sort of 'Ambassador Special' going on. After 3 or 4 years the car was sold on eBay but the garage kept paint job still looked like new. Check their work often and ask other customers if they are satisfied.

Green Alfa Maco.jpg

Mark

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the plan. I am in regular contact with my mechanic on this. The paint question is just one of a million questions I've asked. Was just hoping for answers around that specific question.

It isn't driveable now due to fuel pump/filter or maybe cam belt. Starts and runs but not getting gas (I think). Car sat for two years then was driven on bad gas (?).

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
We had a metallic green 164L painted for my son at Maaco and was amazed how well the job turned out, for about $750. After 3 or 4 years the car was sold on eBay but the garage kept paint job still looked like new.
I don't disagree that a $750 paint job will hold up OK if the car is kept in a garage. It's exposure to the sun that kills an inexpensive paint job.

·
Premium Member
16,010 Posts
Well, that's what we tell people anyway, lol.

The original paint on our Alfas is still fine, with no problems with clear coat, etc. The only reason I had the 91S repainted was because someone in Oregon had keyed the entire rhs of the car, plus rock chips in the front of the hood. I got tired of looking at that damage. As I said, the paint on the Milano is still as new, and same for the 94LS. I know the new paint on the 91S will last for many years in this area, the proper type of paint and clear coat being used.

What amazed me, having lived in LA for a while, was that no one used a car cover there to protect the paint and interior in those conditions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts