Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have to paint my alfa 2500 Villa d'Este (1951).
The interior is in brown leather.
can you help me to choose the colors of the different elements
Body : Metallic gray Ref: ?
Chassis: Gray ? Ref: ?
Engine compartment: Gray ? Ref: ?
Inside engine cover: ? Ref: ?
Engine : Black
Gearbox : ?
After deck ?
Brake drum ? Ref: ?
Suspension arms ? Ref: ?
Shock absorbers ? Ref: ?
Steering column ? Ref: ?
Steering box ? Ref: ?

Please excuse me for my english.
Tank you for your help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dear Senmartin,

I cannot help you with the outside colour, but I might be able to help with suspension, chassis etc.
As far as I see it, the prewar 6Cs were simply gray on chassis and axle parts without a green hue to it. The later ones uo until approx 1948 and later had a greenish-grey engine bay axles and steering. After mixing the colour ourself on the first car, we later found that RAL 7033 "cement gray" is a lively green-gray which matches the original colour best. I have compared it with original chassis parts that had not been exposed to light (like on the steering box side which faces the chassis) and it looked pretty much the same if you choose a semi-gloss or silk mat finish. We have used this colour on approx 13 6C 2500 so far.

It seems that during the last years of production, more and more chassis were simply painted black, and on a Villa d´Este I think this should definitely be the case. This refers to chassis, axles and steering colloumn. Also on many VdEs, the engine bay is no longer green-gray, but some kind of sand-beige instead. I think Ermanno Keler´s #915884 is certailnly a valuable reference if it comes to originality.

Gearboxes are normally unpainted and just glass-blasted to get the correct dull finish without making it to dark of a grey or too shiny. Brake drums are also unpainted with the balancing weights (the riveted plates) in chassis colour or unpainted.

As to the shock absorbers, I think you are talking about the damper units on the front axle, not the ones on the rear. The dampers were unpainted on earlier models, but should definitely be black on a VdE. I hope you have the larger diameter, original dampers with only one large spring inside.

This is what I have seen on 6Cs so far. Wonder what the others think of it.

·
Registered
11,886 Posts
Photos would be cool

Pete

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,
My car is N ° 915901 with big shock absorbers D: 114 mm.
Currently the chassis looks like in the photo.
The Touring metal structure is welded to the chassis.
Can we paint the whole set in the same color?
Or should we paint in several colors?
-Engine compartment:.............Sand yellow..............RAL 1002
-Chassis:..................................Color........................RAL..........
-Metallic structure.....................Color........................RAL..........

915901 car6.jpg

My car in 1960 ?
MODIF JPS (2).jpg

·
Registered
11,886 Posts
Wow, thanks for that amazing chassis photo.

Pete

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dear Senmartin,

I compared the engine bay on our car, #915900 to a RAL colour fan, and it didn´t match up. This means nothing, of course, since our car has been completely restored from a relatively bad basis and therefore all paint is new. As far as I know, there are only two cars left in first paint, one of them being #915884 (but this is grey-green in the engine bay) and the other one one #915885 (but this one might have been restored in the meantime). Some of the remaining VdEs are polished aluminium on the bulkhead and gray or black on the sides, and at least three are sand beige. I do not know if there is a right or wrong. If you wish, I can match up our colour to get a definite colour code and then you compare with other owners. In any case, grey (RAL 7033) or sand beige definitely looks cleaner and more appealing than black or blank alloy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
And chasis and metallic structure should definitely be same same in black. Structure was originally partly wrapped in kind of potato sack cloth to inhibit vibrations, but his will hold moisture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts