Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
My very original '74 GTV has no factory paint on the "sound deadener" There is likely paint under it.
Somebody may have added extra sound deadener. I believe it was a dealer option OR your paint has fallen off OR Luigi was having a very bad day and his already very rough painting process was even more hit and miss the day your car was built.

But it has been proven many, many times, even by factory documents/photos that under the wheel wells should be body colour. Think about it; it would cost Alfa Romeo more to have painted the wheel wells black. Instead they painted the car and wheel wells, and squirted some paint (but not a lot) underneath and in the cabin area (my car had no paint on the bulkhead, inside of roof, etc.).

It is simply amazing that any of these cars have survived for so long, considering how poorly painted they were. A tribute to emotional owners.
Pete

·
Registered
338 Posts
Somebody may have added extra sound deadener. I believe it was a dealer option OR your paint has fallen off OR Luigi was having a very bad day and his already very rough painting process was even more hit and miss the day your car was built.

But it has been proven many, many times, even by factory documents/photos that under the wheel wells should be body colour. Think about it; it would cost Alfa Romeo more to have painted the wheel wells black. Instead they painted the car and wheel wells, and squirted some paint (but not a lot) underneath and in the cabin area (my car had no paint on the bulkhead, inside of roof, etc.).

It is simply amazing that any of these cars have survived for so long, considering how poorly painted they were. A tribute to emotional owners.
Pete
I have thought about. I think about every post I make. The diagram posted earlier shows were the factory applied "sound deadener" was applied after the car was painted. I refuse to believe I got a weird, or weirder than others, Alfa.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts