Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting the ‘72 GTV ready for paint, it was and will be white.

Are the wheel wells body color and thus needing to be prepared too?

I think so....

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Correct.

·
Super Moderator
11,210 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great - more to prep!

Thanks gentlemen, appreciate the confirmation.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Back in the day, Alfa provided the following illustration to restorers and repair shops.

The areas of the underside onto which "sound deadener" is to be applied is also painted body color.

So common to omit the paint after a repair or to cover the paint with a layer of rocker panel coating

In the "in for a penny, in for a pound" department: have you consider using 3M™ Paint Defender Spray Film or equivalent to protect your new paint job? Not for concours cars, but a good investment for those cars that are driven.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
We use 3M paint defender for temporary short term applications ...I do not see how it can be used in wheel wells...my 2 cents look at Wurths stone chip and underbody sealant, it can be painted over.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Tom, sorry, wrong 3M product. I agree with you, but because I used to work for 3M I have a tendency to favor their products. Wurth works. Employee discounts on 3M automotive product keeps me a loyal customer though.

I've never used Defender. I was researching it because I've only heard bad things about it at my local cars & coffee meets.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Back in the day, Alfa provided the following illustration to restorers and repair shops...
So, the body shop put a black coating in the wheel wells of my Duetto when it was repainted. I didn't know at the time to suggest otherwise. It's never been out of the garage since while I rebuild all the systems, so still clean and dry. Is it possible to paint body color over that, or not worth it? It will be a street car and used regularly. It's 716 Graphite Grey, so there's not a lot of contrast with the black.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you want to fix it now is the time. Check to see Jay product they used and the manufacturer recommended top coat procedure.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve used Wurths on, cough cough, an air cooled thing and it was a very nice product.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
If you're not totally obsessed with originality if recommend SEM urethane bedliner. You can get in black or tintable. Very durable, easy to keep clean, reasonable to apply with the included Schutz gun. We use it in the cabin, trunk and undercarriage including wheel wells.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
No problem! Hope I'm not hijacking - it seemed germane to the conversation.

Here are some pics of mine. One shows that as I pulled the front suspension, they didn't even finish covering everything.

5.jpg

DSC01485.JPG

IMG_1106 copy.jpg

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I generally like my cars a bit scruffy (Since they get used and I don’t like having to worry too much about where I park a since they get used and I don’t like having to worry too much about where I park them) but this one needs to look sharp, and the original paint in the wheel wells has come off in some spots so now really is time if I’m painting the top too.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Back in the day, Alfa provided the following illustration to restorers and repair shops.

The areas of the underside onto which "sound deadener" is to be applied is also painted body color.

So common to omit the paint after a repair or to cover the paint with a layer of rocker panel coating

In the "in for a penny, in for a pound" department: have you consider using 3M™ Paint Defender Spray Film or equivalent to protect your new paint job? Not for concours cars, but a good investment for those cars that are driven.
That’s a very helpful diagram, although I would add that the folks at the factory who applied the spray on underbody protection were, let’s just say, a little loose with their technique and consistency. I’ve seen several cars, my GTV included, where I swear the operator stood back at a few feet and shot the spray in the general direction. I’ve left it like that and chuckle every time I see it. Maybe it was Friday afternoon....

Anyway, more helpfully I also used the Wurth product and it was great. Water based as well if I remember correctly so clean up was simple as.

·
Registered
336 Posts

My very original '74 GTV has no factory paint on the "sound deadener" There is likely paint under it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts