Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Push hard and live
11,885 Posts
Grille painted?

I would contact Lionel Velez. He lives in Dallas, and restores Alfas.

·
Push hard and live
11,885 Posts
I'm not familiar with any Alfa grilles that were painted. Maybe the new stuff, but I haven't played with those.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update, I sent Mr. Velez a message detailing my request and got turned down. He said no shops he knows will accept a job that small and that I should go to a biker shop to get it done? Not sure where to go from here.

·
Push hard and live
11,885 Posts
Lionel's points are well taken.

It's the kind of thing most car hobbyists would just handle in their own shop.

To have it painted in a professional shop would cost that shop at least $100 in time and materials, plus the distraction of taking a technician off a higher priority job. What would your response have been to a $200+ charge for your project?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lionel's points are well taken.

It's the kind of thing most car hobbyists would just handle in their own shop.

To have it painted in a professional shop would cost that shop at least $100 in time and materials, plus the distraction of taking a technician off a higher priority job. What would your response have been to a $200+ charge for your project?
Pretty surprised to be honest. I was thinking it would be somewhere around $100. Maybe I'll take it Maaco and get it painted pink...;)

·
Push hard and live
11,885 Posts
Pretty surprised to be honest. I was thinking it would be somewhere around $100. Maybe I'll take it Maaco and get it painted pink...;)
Phantom...

You see the problem. Even if a paint and body shop had the color you wanted, that stuff has become EXPENSIVE. I just spent $500 for a gallon and a half of standard Ford Blue for an 85 F150. Most paints these days are catalyzed, and once you open a bottle of that, you've got only a few days to use it or throw it away. Plus, removing whatever makes your paint ugly, primer, time, etc.

You could do worse than going to your local auto parts store and buying a rattle can of whatever suits you. Professional is just that. They're in it to make a living, and don't generally mess around with rattle cans.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If you have access to air pressure, I get really good results from the Harborfreight kit.
for small jobs. Be sure to install a desiccator inline.

This air brush turns you into a master painter. I do have all the chemicals, reducer, lacquer thinner catalysts. I am saddened that the paint seems to have skyrocketed in price. The shops have been hit hard by regs but petroleum hadn't gone up until the last election(?)
These are cheap! The dessicant can be recycled too. Pop the lid off and put the beads in your microwave. Then burn off the water. Sorry, can't remember how long to cook the beads. Just go a minute at a time.

Don't necessarily knock the rattlecans. WESCO paints, if you find a clever salesperson, can match your paint and pressurize a rattlecan. The results can be superb. It does require a good person with an eye and the knowledge to match your paint. There's artistry involved. I had a terrible time around Seattle finding anyone to match VivoVerde. But in San Antonio, I found a fellow in downtown who said give him a couple days, and he made a SUPERB match and gave me the formula.

English Paints is all over the south and if you take a look at them, you probably will be pleased with the help you can get.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have access to air pressure, I get really good results from the Harborfreight kit.
for small jobs. Be sure to install a desiccator inline.

This air brush turns you into a master painter. I do have all the chemicals, reducer, lacquer thinner catalysts. I am saddened that the paint seems to have skyrocketed in price. The shops have been hit hard by regs but petroleum hadn't gone up until the last election(?)
These are cheap! The dessicant can be recycled too. Pop the lid off and put the beads in your microwave. Then burn off the water. Sorry, can't remember how long to cook the beads. Just go a minute at a time.

Don't necessarily knock the rattlecans. WESCO paints, if you find a clever salesperson, can match your paint and pressurize a rattlecan. The results can be superb. It does require a good person with an eye and the knowledge to match your paint. There's artistry involved. I had a terrible time around Seattle finding anyone to match VivoVerde. But in San Antonio, I found a fellow in downtown who said give him a couple days, and he made a SUPERB match and gave me the formula.

English Paints is all over the south and if you take a look at them, you probably will be pleased with the help you can get.
Wow thanks a bunch! I do happen to have access to air pressure. So i'll pick those up and see what English can do paint wise. Honestly i'm pretty excited to tackle this myself! I'll post a pic whenever I get it done.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Buy the inline pressure regulator too. Sorry, forgot that. Do a couple test passes on something throwaway.
You'll be real proud of yourself when you're done.
I really like PPG Concept single stage, but not all pigments are available in single stage.
I had to paint SPINACI in basecoat clearcoat.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.