Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is better - i am looking at refinishing my rims this weekend and wanted to know which method is better. thanks.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Powdercoat is more durable and resistant to chemicals (you know, in case you want to clean them) but paint can be touched up it it gets chipped/scratched/dinged and is nowhere near as time or money consuming to redo or change.

Still, my druthers would be to powdercoat if given oppertunity to do either at a given moment.

NOTE: if doing stock steel wheels, there's been issues with powdercoat bubbling/pinholing in the seam near the bead lip where the rim and center are welded together (pix in the forum somewhere)

·
Registered
231 Posts
If I was to use paint... has anyone determined the right brand & color for Turbina's?

-Raffi

·
Banned
129 Posts
If I was to use paint... has anyone determined the right brand & color for Turbina's?

-Raffi
The "original" Turbina paint, in a word, sucks. It's about as thin as whitewash, green-tinted from the also-thin primer, and with a dull sheen. The spare in my '74 has never been on the ground (even still has its original Michelin XAS tire with undamaged rubber nubbies), so I'm using that as an authentic sample.

So, if you want the "right" color, it can be custom-matched, both for tint and sheen, by someplace like Tower Paint Custom Spray Cans Even so, it might be tough to apply it as thinly as the factory did, but at least the color would match.

BMW's silver wheel paint is often substituted, but it's thicker, more "silver" and has a glossy sheen. Griot's Garage sells a nice wheel refinishing kit, using the BMW stuff.

Griot's Garage 1-800-345-5789 - Misc Car Care

Powdercoating Turbina's yields pretty bad results IMHO, with lots of bubbles and poor coverage on all the sharp edges.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts

-Raffi
Its called 'polishing' or 'chroming' and we have all been waiting for somone like yourself, to step up to the plate and take on the challenge of "mirror finishing" these babies! :D
Here also is your chance to unseat John M as the Bling Master of Alfa Wheels! :p

(personally I used Duplicolor silver wheel spray paint w/ their clear laquer and am happy with the results.)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here also is your chance to unseat John M as the Bling Master of Alfa Wheels! :p
All of my cars have been zoned as a Bling-Free... Chrome don't get you home!

-Raffi

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dropped off the car at usa wheels in NJ.

going to have 4 rims repaired and powdercoated for $700.

will report back upon completion.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Seems high... I had a set of BBS RS wheels (three piece) quoted for that much but that included breaking them down, 30 screws each, refinishing the barrels, mesh, and center caps, machine line the lips, mil the back plane to change the offset from et29 to et33 and reassemble.

I'm just saying this as a point of comparison, I don't know what condition your rims are in.

-Raffi

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems high... I had a set of BBS RS wheels (three piece) quoted for that much but that included breaking them down, 30 screws each, refinishing the barrels, mesh, and center caps, machine line the lips, mil the back plane to change the offset from et29 to et33 and reassemble.

I'm just saying this as a point of comparison, I don't know what condition your rims are in.

-Raffi
the rims were not even in that bad shape. i agree it is high. i might have been able to get it for 600 from another place but this shop is fairly convenient to manhattan.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
From what I have learned trying to research, powder coating is more durable. On the other hand, they do seem to be a little darker and not as high a sheen.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
dropped off the car at usa wheels in NJ.

will report back upon completion.
I guess that price is OK, I have gotten quotes for 125 a wheel for painting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did the shop break out where that $700 is going in the refurb process? What "repair" work are they doing as they prep the wheels to be coated? Does that cost include them dismounting, remounting and balancing tires? I'm assuming these are 15 inch wheels with "mild curb rash"? Or is there greater damage? I ask because that price seems excessive. Myself and a friend operate a small powder coating business and the going rate is about $90 per wheel. Even with correcting mild rashes, getting to $175 per wheel is a bit much. We've done 22.5 inch truck wheels in two tone with clear coats for less than that. Needless to say, I recommend powder coating over painting, especially for wheels because they take a lot of road debris abuse. With a powdered clear coat over the wheels, you'll get a fantastic shiny finish. Some samples of our work: goosecreekfinishing

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did the shop break out where that $700 is going in the refurb process? What "repair" work are they doing as they prep the wheels to be coated? Does that cost include them dismounting, remounting and balancing tires? I'm assuming these are 15 inch wheels with "mild curb rash"? Or is there greater damage? I ask because that price seems excessive. Myself and a friend operate a small powder coating business and the going rate is about $90 per wheel. Even with correcting mild rashes, getting to $175 per wheel is a bit much. We've done 22.5 inch truck wheels in two tone with clear coats for less than that. Needless to say, I recommend powder coating over painting, especially for wheels because they take a lot of road debris abuse. With a powdered clear coat over the wheels, you'll get a fantastic shiny finish. Some samples of our work: goosecreekfinishing

i agree the price it is very excessive but but one of the main points in finding a shop to re-do my rims is a place that will let me leave my car with them. most places in the tri-state area and long island would not let me do this. mild curb damage, nothing dramatic. cost includes, mounting, balancing, etc. cost is $165 / rim + tax.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts