Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding keeping original color or going with taste and desire to change. I have an '88 Graduate where this is not an issue - it will be painted red, the original color, this fall. But, with much more classic cars (I'm considering purchase and restoration of a '60s Alfa), is it more desirable to keep the color as original as everything else? Does a change in color impact greatly potential sale price at some future date? Honestly, after several $k and a true love for Alfas I can't see ever selling, but ya never know.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Color and keeping it original is much more a factor in a "classic" older car (GTV, Duetto) than with say an '88 Graduate, IMO.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If it's done right I don't think it will affect the value too much.

I would rather do one the way I wanted instead of building one to a percieved future value.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I say keep the paint original color. If you want a different color try to buy the car in that color. And I know Alfa's are hard for some people to find.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I can agree with ALL of the above posts! I have painted 3 of my cars, sticking with original colors, or something very close. None of these were "collector" models.
'91 164S-a BMW black
'89 Spider-Alfa Rosso
'89 Milano-much whiter than original, and I wish I'd added some pearl!

Changing colors is a huge endeavor, as Mark suggested, but if you are going away from stock anyway...

My next project, a '74 GTV, is presenting me with the same issues, as the car is the infamous Piper Yellow. I am leaning toward staying with that color as the car does have a collector value.

I usually put color near the bottom of the list when shopping for a car. Mechanicals, body, and interior are more important.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I don't mind seeing paint different from original on some cars. For me if the car is a sixties or seventies vintage Alfa I would change to another period correct Alfa color. Newer cars like 164's I think can run the gammout.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks much for the many comments.

Paint color was in fact the least important criteria of the project I am considering (the amount of rust, interior condition and instrumentation being the major considerations), and while the original ivory color is not seen often, I think I have decided to keep it, though the graphite grey of the same period looks mighty sharp. One thing that will NOT happen is adding another red vintage alfa to the road!

Cheers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I know a lot of purists would say to keep the original colors, but If you plan on restoring an old alfa it would be hard to turn a buck unless you keep the car for a long time. If you are going to spend a lot of $ on the restoration, why not paint the car in the color you want? Restoring an old Alfa to flip and make dough probably isnt a good investment

·
Registered
750 Posts
One thing to think about are the door jambs, trunk and underhood - not a problem if you are pulling the engine, but if not what to decide? For me a beautiful paint job on the outside only to see the engine compart a different color is like barf:eek: I've seen some paint the engine compart/trunk in black ... not quite so bad but still not ideal. If you keep the original color you can often get away with not having to paint these areas ... of course depending on the condition.

GV

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm looking at a 74gtv restoration as well and plan to change the color to alfa rosso simply because I prefer that color to white and I already have a white car. Just wondering but what would the cost be for a nice alfa rosso paint job? If someone could pm me since I don;'t get on here much thatd be great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts