Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the factory black out the area immediately behind the grill?

I have flipped through the entire collection of 105 only pictures (again, what a great thread) and very rarely can any of the metal between the radiator and the front grill be seen. Sometimes on the white cars can a little be seen. But usually its just the mesh. Seems like it would be a lot of extra work for the factory to spray this area.

I am at the point in my restoration that if it is going to be done I have to get on to it.

Thanks,
Miguel

·
Administrator
13,659 Posts
Hmmm, I didn't think Alfa Romeo blacked out this area ... I'll have to check some brochures. No point looking at my car anymore because it's now in primer and it had had many repaints before I got to it.

I suspect that esc2064's car had had a repaint too.

I can though confirm that they did black out the area between the top of the dashboard and the front windscreen as nobody had ever removed my cars dashboard before.
Pete

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
348 Posts
What year/model is your car, Miguel? I think the step nose cars were painted body color in this area, but then mine had been repainted before I bought it. It seems likely that the smooth nose cars were painted matte black.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The body is a 74.

I think I will hit it with the matte black. The body color is a variant of gaillo ocra, might be a little too bright behind the grill.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,887 Posts
Why not leave it body colour and if you don,t like it black paint it after. For what it,s worth my '74 gtv (Hawthorne white) does not have any black behind the grille and looks fine. I also have 105 brochures and certainly on one of them it is quite obvious body colour is behind the grille-car is red in photos.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The stepfronts doent look like they were

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
My January 1975 build 115-series GTV has the blacked-out paint treatment behind the grille. I believe it to be original because it's the same matte black as applied to the air intake metal tube. A/C condensor tabs are also painted black.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,887 Posts
I think you guys are wrong as from my own cars, the original cars I used to see in my workshop,the factory photos of Derek`s above and the sales brochures I have of these cars there was no black behind the grille, it was body colour. I suspect owners or maybe some US dealers may have used a spray can to alter something they did not like.

·
Administrator
13,659 Posts
I think you guys are wrong as from my own cars, the original cars I used to see in my workshop,the factory photos of Derek`s above and the sales brochures I have of these cars there was no black behind the grille, it was body colour. I suspect owners or maybe some US dealers may have used a spray can to alter something they did not like.
I agree. The only place I found black paint was infront of the dash and the gap between the dash and the windscreen.

I think the 2000 grill design might have lent itself to dealers painting the area behind black to try and make the grill look more definite.

I won't be painting mine black behind the grill (until more evidence is found), but I've got a 1750 :).
Pete

·
Registered
610 Posts
There must be someone out there with an all original red GTV (115) that we can check to be sure. When I bought my 72, it was untouched and it showed flat black behind the grill. Anyone else?

·
Administrator
13,659 Posts
There must be someone out there with an all original red GTV (115) that we can check to be sure. When I bought my 72, it was untouched and it showed flat black behind the grill. Anyone else?
Can you confirm this was not a dealer addition?

In England they (dealers) put vinyl roofs on them ... err ... :( :eek:
Pete

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi all, on my 74 I found flat black paint under the package tray at rear window where the window rubber and edging of the tray itself meet. i guess to try and 'black out' any ill fitting that went on. Like Pete said, in the front too. Sort of like the 'flap' on the bottom of the rear upright seat that hides any gap one may have between the two cushions. ( my upholsterer didnt realize this and trimmed the rear upright seat clean and I now can see paint, slighty. An easy fix though...). My car was painted previously so I can't comment on originiality for the behind-the-grill area, but my painter painted it flat black as well as the AC tabs which I left on. It looks good.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just checked my late 71' dated brochure and scanned a pic of the front of a GTV.

Definately no black. But heck, who knows what happened back then. Maybe it was
a different finish for the US cars and Europe got no matt black.

Also had a look through a number of books with contemporary photo's and doesn't look like any black
their either.

Anyone have a US spec brochure to check?

Cheers,

Paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I am the second owner of a 1967 GTV and the first to repaint it. The original was body color; it wasn't blacked out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts