Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello knowledgeable people of the Alfa universe! I need to do some bodywork on my 105 2000 GTV. Currently the color is Bianco Spino (Chalk White).

I am interested in two colors: Silver or White

I need paint codes for the best silver or white that you can suggest for me. I kind of like the Lamborghini Bianco Isis, or the Ferrari Argento Nurburing. I have not seen either colors in person. Does anyone have a car with these colors? I am open to other shades as well. What do you guys think?

How about a titanium/platinum on a 74 GTV? Come on guys, anything but red... (though red is very attractive).:D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Why not AR741 (Argento)? BTW unless you are going to do a thorough color change, i.e. painting the engine bay, trunk, door jambs, you are going to negatively impact the value of your car. Might just want to stick with AR014. My .02 Euros...

Ciao,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John,

I thought about re-sale values, however, I have no plans to re-sell at this point or the near future. I just thought that since I will be starting from scratch, I might as well change the color of the car, to one that I truly like. I will be repainting the car all over, a semi back to bare metal restoration. Which is why I thought of white even though its from a lambo as I am kinda wanting a change from what I got now (grass is always greener.....).

Anyway, I will have a look at the Alfa Argento color sample (thanks for the paint code) as you suggest.

If I was going to do white again, I want it to be very bright to match that gleaming chrome. Bianco Spino seems to be dirty white (maybe just mine due to age).:(

·
Registered
342 Posts
Marco

I was in the same position a couple of years ago. Silver was my first choice but then I went for a color from the late 60's - Giallo Ocra. It is an orange/sienna color that I have had nothing but compliments on. Like silver, it shows the lines of the car very well, something that white can not do.

Velocess

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh this is what I really need to achieve for the car....to show off its lines. I like silver but my wife is not too keen on it as it is not safe on the road. Giallo might be a good one to do, can't believe I have not considered it. Thanks Velocess

M :D

PS. Is that the same color as AlfaRestore's car?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I agree you probably need to go with a color. IMHO, the GTV's body accents are a little bland to go with a plain white. It really takes a color to show the perfect proportions and lines of the GTV. A nice yellow would be nice. Consider an english racing green (verde inglesa), but I'm not sure I've seen a GTV in green. And, of course, they always look good in red.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Oops, my mistake, Chalk White is AR013. If you haven't guessed, I'm a proponent in keeping the cars original, but not so presumptuous as to tell you what to to do with your car. :D . Giallo Ocra is AR109. I think Jeff's is AR112, but it's hard to tell, given the limitations of monitor settings, lighting of the subject and camera settings.

Ciao,

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hurt my feelings, why don't ya! :) I dig my GTV in white. I believe the color was called "Hathorn White". I agree that white does not show the 105 lines as well. My GTV also tends to blend in as just another white car. Much less noticable to cops though. I have no plans on changing the color, as I want to keep the car fairly original. Not many white GTV's around.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hey Kai:

I like your white GTV. I took mine to pearl white and it does show the lines very well. It was originally white. Its beautiful at night as the pearl effect really kicks in. I won't share where the paint came from as all on the board would kill me.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
342 Posts
Marco,

Yes it is the same color as AlfaRestore's car photographed by the Golden Gate Bridge. My car picked up a salvage title along its way so I figured I could not lower the value by changing the color.

What is nice about the salvage title is I don't care as much about the car. If it gets stolen or wrecked, it is not as big of a deal compared to AlfaRestore's nice car. That means I can drive it every day and not sweat the small stuff, just enjoy the car.

Velocess

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Velocess, I take the view of enjoying the car too (my daily driver) although I would still like to keep everything original....well except the paint. I feel that if Arese had access to current paint technology back then, they would use it imho.

Pearl white? Hmmm interesting idea. John is it a white with silver pearl? What combination? What sort of white? You can PM me if you don't want to disclose it publicly.

Thanks again.

M

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ooops 67GTV don't mean to cause you grief dude. Just thought of a change, that's all. Nice white GTV though.;)

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Had a look at the paint chips while at the bodyshop today and marco is right in that AR013 Bianco Spino (whitethorn) is slightly off white but only when compared next to something that's whiter. Like AR008 Pininfarina Bianco (Farina White), Alfas whitest. Even whiter still is what my first 68 GTV was painted, 5040U Corvette White. Why white? A fairly large greenhouse, a black interior and the 2/60 air isn't very effective around town. As far as white hiding the lines, the way I see it (pun) is that those in the know are quite familiar with the GTV's flowing lines and those who don't know don't matter.
IMO, one of the better looking silvers is what the 105 series steel wheels were painted with as supplied by Fergat, C.M.R and Firsat. Someone did some research and found out that since the wheels were painted by the suppliers and not Alfa, there's no Alfa paint code. Further research determined that the identical matching silver is, and the general's gonna love this, BMW Polaris Silver. The pic is a Fergat wheel in Polaris Silver.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I remember seeing that Silver on those steel wheels, really nice color. Too bad it is a BMW color, but, who knows? Haha!

I'm really interested in painting my GTV white too. Kai's white GTV looks awesome in picture, can't wait to see it in person this weekend! :D

papajam said:
IMO, one of the better looking silvers is what the 105 series steel wheels were painted with as supplied by Fergat, C.M.R and Firsat. Someone did some research and found out that since the wheels were painted by the suppliers and not Alfa, there's no Alfa paint code. Further research determined that the identical matching silver is, and the general's gonna love this, BMW Polaris Silver. The pic is a Fergat wheel in Polaris Silver.

·
16,232 Posts
alfa_chan said:
I remember seeing that Silver on those steel wheels, really nice color. Too bad it is a BMW color, but, who knows? Haha!
Yeah, I'm worried my injectors or something are gonna go bad. WAIT! I don't have injectors! Pshew. Off the hook.:p

·
Registered
741 Posts
Alfa did(does) have a paint code for the silver wheel color: AR003. This was the simple renaming of the 3rd party supplied color. Here's a snipet from the 750/101 list from Dave Mercle:

"Given the fact that the standard cryptic response from Archivio Storico (that myself and so many others have obtained in the past) that "AR003" is the Giulietta era steel wheel color was slightly baffling-especially when dear Ms. Ruocco cannot supply a color chip for same. This has made the job of painting steel Giulietta wheels the correct color difficult-to say the least. What is "AR003"? What does it look like? Are there any PPG or Ditzler cross references for it? And so on and so on...
However, on a recent visit to Centro Documentazione I went through many invoices and logbooks from the Giulietta era to try and make some sense of wheel color, along with some other issues and questions. In every case the original invoices from Fergat and Borrani simply listed the color as "Argento"-which is Silver. Looking at the color logbooks it appears that someone added "AR003 Argento" sometime in the past to the records (circa 1962), and this is what Ruocco goes by when asked-although she cannot supply a color chip for "AR003"-because it doesn't exist as an Alfa supplied color-but rather as a renaming of a supplier supplied color.
As I understood it at the time of discussion with Ms. Ruocco, all the wheels were already finished and painted when they got to Portello (and later, Arese)-either on a car coming from Bertone/Pininfarina (Sprints and Spiders, respectively), or on the slightly different wheels supplied from Fergat for the Berlinas and TI's and installed at the factory. The factory simply assigned an unused code to this rather standard Italian silver wheel color, and left it at that. "

"Now, some time ago I lucked out in buying an original NOS Giulietta Fergat wheel that was never used-indeed, it came in the original wooden packing crate from Alfa. Although the wheel was manufactured sometime in the early 60's (if the shipping dates on the wooden crate are a good indication of the approximate date of manufacture, the year was 1961) it is a clear and unblemished example of the original "Argento" Silver Fergat wheel that was used for the Giulietta's at the time. When I took the wheel to the paint shop to have it "matched" by eye and by the computer scanner color match machine guess what came up? BMW "Polaris Silver" was the closest match-both specifically according to the computer color scanner and more generally by the naked eye approach (otherwise known as "eyeballing"). "

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
About painting rims, I was under the impression that powder coating would be better for more durability. I had a set of powder coated steel rims but even that finish tended to chip when I snapped the hub cap on. Wouldn't paint, especially a silver paint be more prone to chipping under such circumstances? I'd love to switch to the SS center caps but they do not fit on my rim.

Regarding my white GTV, I was kidding about my feelings being hurt. I fully understand. White is not such an exciting color. Another benefit of white though, is that it helps to hide blemishes. At least in photographs. I'm ashamed to admit that I use digital pictures that the PO took because my digital camera is old and does not take great quality pictures. Here's a recent shot showing some dings, chips and my temporary primer patch job. Trying to prepare AC so he doesn't look disappointed when he sees her on Satuday. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Had a look at the paint chips while at the bodyshop today and marco is right in that AR013 Bianco Spino (whitethorn) is slightly off white but only when compared next to something that's whiter. Like AR008 Pininfarina Bianco (Farina White), Alfas whitest. Even whiter still is what my first 68 GTV was painted, 5040U Corvette White. Why white? A fairly large greenhouse, a black interior and the 2/60 air isn't very effective around town. As far as white hiding the lines, the way I see it (pun) is that those in the know are quite familiar with the GTV's flowing lines and those who don't know don't matter.

Hi Jim,

Would the colour code for the BMW Polaris Silver be 057 or 060?
I did a little research for my painter because he wants a code for the BMW Polaris Silver. Your advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
16,232 Posts
BMW Polaris Silver 060.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
How about this colour. It's our new GTA racer which Max is currently building up one bolt at a time. Should be ready to race about 2015. Colour is a modern Alfa one (from a Brera). Max would be able to supply the code if you ask nicely. Everyone who visits agrees that it's stunning and really suits the car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts