Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of restoring my 58 Spider. Anyone know the paint code (for any brand of paint, but ideally PPG) for Pininfarina Red? My painter is ready to paint it and just needs the paint code.

Before I proceed, anyone have recommendations on a great color combination for a Giulietta Spider if I decide to go the non-original route?

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
I believe this would be AR-505 Rosso Italia Pininfarina (aka Farina Red), for which I have a Ditzler/PPG code #71290 (pre-'62) in my list (not to be confused with the darker Rosso Italia AR-514 used in '63-'93). A later variation of AR-505 ('68-'70-ish) was referred to as Rosso Chiaro and/or Rosso Chiaro Pininfarina (aka Cardinal Red), with Ditzler/PPG code #71456. You may have to (actually, you should) paint some test panels before spraying the whole car.

The Glasurit Color Online web site is always good for research, but, in this case, does not show any variations.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I believe this would be AR-505 Rosso Italia Pininfarina (aka Farina Red), for which I have a Ditzler/PPG code #71290 (pre-'62) in my list (not to be confused with the darker Rosso Italia AR-514 used in '63-'93). A later variation of AR-505 ('68-'70-ish) was referred to as Rosso Chiaro and/or Rosso Chiaro Pininfarina (aka Cardinal Red), with Ditzler/PPG code #71456. You may have to (actually, you should) paint some test panels before spraying the whole car.

The Glasurit Color Online web site is always good for research, but, in this case, does not show any variations.
I always thought AR514 was the lighter Pinifarina red (orangey one) and AR505/501 etc the darker blood reds ?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Before I proceed, anyone have recommendations on a great color combination for a Giulietta Spider if I decide to go the non-original route?
Dark Metalico grey over red leather
Celeste light blue

My duetto is Pinifarina red (AR514) I'm changing to AR442 Brilliant blue Metalico as found on the modern 156 GTA

(Stocknazis be dammed)

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
I always thought AR514 was the lighter Pinifarina red (orangey one) and AR505/501 etc the darker blood reds ?
The pictures and scans are not very good, but I hope they show what I meant: AR-501, in pretty much all of its variants -- and certainly in the late '50s and early '60s, seems to be darker than AR-514, and 514 seems to be darker than 505 (but only test panels can tell how close or how far apart 505 and 514 are).

alfareds  (cropped + 700 wide).jpg

otherunknown  (cropped + 700 wide).jpg

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
They're great swatches. Would love to see a set one day

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the paint code tubut! So AR-505 Rosso Italia Pininfarina would be the original color for my 58. If I don't go with the original color, thinking of maybe this Subaru Crosstek color (Desert Khaki):

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/75401684.jpg

Maybe with green leather interior? What do you think of that combination? I'd go with the original color, but there are SO many red early Spiders out there. May still stay original.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread ! I'm getting ready to do a re-paint on my 61 after a fender scrape. My car was low miles and only had one repaint. I'm going to look some more where "The sun don't shine" too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts