Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Paint chips

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Otomanir 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2018 veloce, and I seem to be plagued with stone chips on the bonnet, I don't go off roading or drive in unmade road areas, I get it that you will get this but never had a car that seems to mark so easy, I also have a jaguar xf that I've had for years and not one mark on that. Just wondering if it's something over owners have had. Thanks Chris

#3 ·
Here is my experience with rock chips on a few of my cars:

2019 Mini Cooper with 30,000 miles = no rock chips (this is my current daily driver and it's an excellent car)
1999 BMW Z3 with 90,000 miles = no rock chips
1999 Porsche 911 with 50,000 miles = no rock chips
2007 Jaguar XK with 110,000 miles = no rock chips
2017 Fiat 500 with 40,000 miles = no rock chips

2015 Kia Forte = constant rock chips on the front bumper, hood, rear bumper (this car was so bad that KIA had to buy it back from me)
2019 Mazda 3 = constant rock chips on the front bumper, hood, rear bumper (this car was so bad that Mazda had to buy it back from me)

I am inclined to believe that my cars that didn't have rock chips were simply better prepared at the factory with superior primer, paint and clear which is why they held up so well. Here is my 2007 Jaguar, that I bough new and put on 110,000 harsh New Jersey Turnpike miles with not a single rock chip anywhere. I drove that car everywhere from NJ to Canada multiple times in rain, snow, ice, rocky roads, gravel, dirt...etc. Once I gave it a wash it looked like new again.

With that said, I think Alfa probably cheaped out on the paint which is why you are getting rock chips.

#4 ·
Hi I'm sure you are right, the weird thing is I have no chips on the front bumper at all just on the bonnet and it is not on the leading edge but in the middle and rear, I suppose I should have had the dealer do my second year service but they quoted £560 and when I asked does this include plugs they said no, I thought it was way over the top, about 775 dollars, but I think I may have missed out on paint inspection, oh well, I'll have to see how it goes. Thanks for the reply. Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.