Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would greatly appreciate any names of shops in the Northern CA where a high quality paint job can be had for less than the price of a new BMW. My '69 Spider needs some serious TLC and I want to do it right. I just am looking for something more reasonable than some of the quotes I've been getting.

Also, I'm willing to travel quite a ways to get it done and realize that distance from the Bay Area is a plus when it means BAAQMD regs don't apply, thereby opening up options on paint materials.

Any ideas appreciated, thx.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ukiah, in Mendocino Co. too far? Daniel "Bubba" Castaneda, Kutting Edge Auto Refinishing does nice work. 707-272-8024 I too think pricing will be more to your liking the further away from the bay area you go. Not sure if you are going to do the labor yourself in removing the glass, trim items, ect. Doing that can save you money and you're assured a much nicer job when finished.

Some years ago, I had a GTV done at Farmer Brothers in Ukiah. I removed everything myself, down to a rolling shell. I recall $6000 was the price at the time. Really came out nice.

Find a shop that is willing to take the time to listen to you and a place you feel good leaving your beloved Spider with. Check for reviews on the computer too. When you find that shop, make sure your requests and wants for the paint work is in writing. That also includes..... how long is the job going to take?

Good luck with your Spider.

-Doug

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doug:

Many thx. All your advice jives with what I have been told. Yes, I do plan to do the dismantle (with much professional help) and I plan to get as specific as possible.

Interestingly, a friend also said he heard of a good shop in Ukiah but he didn't have the contact info. So thx for the leads--I'll follow up and keep the BB posted. I expect the trick will be getting a bid from a shop up there when the car is here in Marin! It's not in shape to make that drive at this point, unfortunately.

Again thx for writing.

Scott

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI, further on this:

As far as Ukiah shops--Daniel "Bubba" Castaneda, Kutting Edge Auto Refinishing told me he no longer is interested in doing full restorations, so that went nowhere.

Also spoke to Ryan at Farmer's Bros. in Ukiah and he was very responsive. I sent him some photos and hope to speak to him soon about possibilities. On it goes.....

Scott

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Scott. I think a big part of the battle is researching out and ultimately locating a paint shop to your liking.

Ryan and Michael Smith are the sons of Ed Smith who acquired the business from Dink Farmer many year ago. Ed has since passed away. Dink is still around the area. Michael and Ryan essentially, lease out the facility to Bubba. From talking to both Michael and Ryan, they are interested in only leasing their facility to someone who is up to their standards. Ryan, very well may know of Dink or someone else who does do what you're requesting. A full repaint. I know that they do not, or would not, have some hack from the "Earl Scheib school of paint" on the property working under their name.

Their Father, Ed was heavy into early Porsche models. Nice work is still done there.

Good Luck,

-Doug

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for the background Doug. Still talking to Mike and Ryan so that may bear fruit. All part of the process.
:)

Thx again for all the inputs.

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts