Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any products that have worked well on filling padded dashboard cracks? Mine has a 1/8" wide crack in the center I'd like to fill and repaint with the entire dash. Getting the texture to match along the fill is the goal. I bought flexible vinyl and carpet paint to paint the carpet I was considering for use on the dash and console. Comments?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I successfully used Padded Dash Filler (p/n 2050-9) from Urethane Supply Company to rebuild the padded sections of my S3 dashboard. Filling the dash was the easy part. More difficult is finishing the torn/missing vinyl covering. I tried coating the dash with spray on truck liner. The truck liner coating cracked in the same area as the repair. The good news that 2 years on, the padding filler is still attached and looking good.

So, thumbs up on the padding filler. Thumbs down on using truck bed liner coating as a vinyl replacement.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scarab, good to know about the USC Urethane filler. I found this product after a Google search but was put off by the fact there was no way to texture the fill. USC has a vid of the process on their site which is helpful.

There is a As Seen on TV product that keeps coming up on my searches, is inexpensive, and doubtful if it works.

·
Registered
936 Posts
i tried the vinyl & dash repair from Eastwood.

you mix a thermoset paste to the color you need and cover the foam repair. then overlay a texture sheet and heat cure with a flat tipped soldering iron.

the resulting patch is nice and flexible, but none of the included textures match the Alfa factory look, and the patch has a glossy look that does not match the original look. i ended up painting the dash pad with vinyl paint afterward to get a uniform color. the differences in textures still give away the repairs if you look in the right location.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You may want to give this thread a read. This is the old "...dash repair for under $30" thread started by akitaman.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts