Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I started this service (NOT A BUSINESS) of providing a NEW OVS, I have learned about every excuse under the sun why the OVS is just a place to apply JB Weld.. Everything from A) My car works so why do I need to know B) it's filled with charcoal C) Alfa didn't have a service schedule on them D) My mechanic never asked me to check it E) It's just a "greenie" tree hugger thing that is broken and who cares.. if it's inoperative .. so be it... I'm glad it doesn't work... .. I pass inspection F) As long as it has a coat of paint on it and I seal up the pin-holes with JB Weld , it's good to go ...G) It's like a catalytic converter that fails .. who cares.. unplug the light. I never wanted it in the first place. H) I rinsed mine out and I have flow through so it must be working.

All these are valid reasons for ignoring them.... if you don't have any idea how they are supposed to operate and separate excess oil that could be introduced to the engine where it doesn't belong..in the combustion cycle, which influences starting, mileage , oil consumption, carbon-build up, plug fouling , smokey exhaust, lost power, burnt valves, ..just to mention a few criteria. At the risk of insulting and cavorting as an expert.. I have to remind the reader of the adage .. Ignorance is bliss.. The root word is IGNORE. I was there.

My only retort is to spend NOTHING from your wallet... Take 20 minutes and disconnect the oil return line to your dipstick from the bottom of your OVS and blow air through the line.. If it is restricted you need to visit why and how internal corrosion in your OVS is conspiring to compromise the operation of your Fuel Injected Alfa. At least 50 customers recognize why it is important not to ignore.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I remind all that there is supposed to be a few cc of oil, sitting in the bottom of the OVS to dipstick line, that acts as a 'vapor trap', much like the 'P' trap under your sink in the kitchen/bathroom. The line should be clean and have a few cc of oil sitting in the bottom of it, -- clean, flowable oil.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remind all that there is supposed to be a few cc of oil, sitting in the bottom of the OVS to dipstick line, that acts as a 'vapor trap', much like the 'P' trap under your sink in the kitchen/bathroom. The line should be clean and have a few cc of oil sitting in the bottom of it, -- clean, flowable oil.
Bob As you know I caution folks to inspect and clean this line in my instructions as NEW OVS won't ork unless that line is clear. and primed with 20 cc of motor oil. thanks for pointing that out! I'm still running into folks with a fear of soldering. Here are some good videos to help them through that knothole .. Smaller pencil flame is best.. It's not learning how to MIG weld!.. It's closer to licking an envelope.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the priming of the line with 20CC of oil has more to do with simple physics. The oil mass in the OVS would have a hard time overcoming the air column in the hose if it was emplty because the sump is putting out pressure against toe direction of the oil flow. When you fill the hose/line with oit it creates mass wihich is enough to over come the pressure column against it from the sump and once it starts moving it retains a full line of oil. rather than bucking an air column.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I’m pretty sure the priming of the oil return line is to create the initial seal between the OVS and dipstick. Otherwise vapor can pass between the two until enough oil is recovered and fills the low point in the tubing loop. Without the loop seal, air could get sucked into the OVS From the dipstick tube (reducing its efficiency until enough oil is recovered to create the seal).

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing we differ in is which way the pressure is against the drainage of the OVS.. I think it is AGAINST the OVS from the dip stick from the sump . The sump is building UP pressure not creating a vacuum .. I don't think there is a "sucking" at the dipstick .Thus with the added oil in the line you have more mass to overcome this pressure against the flow of the pressure against it. If the dipstick sucked it wouldn't matter. Just my 2 sense... call in the Swiss Guard... Either way.. I'll go with the recommended prime of 20 cc's.. I can handle that.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Is the tubing connection at the dipstick above or below the sump oil level? I'm pretty sure it's above it, and oil readily gravity drains from the OVS to that connection and dribbles down the dipstick into the sump. Air could leak by the top of the dipstick due to the vacuum draw from the intake system or positive crank case pressure from the OVS could push out the top of the dipstick. Either way its a vapor passage until a liquid seal is created at the low point of the tubing where its routed at the base of the radiator.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't think gravity over comes positive pressure again' it. That's why I said what I said. I'll take a seat from here.appreciate your interest and input... Only a Tech writer from AR could answer it, other wise we a sawing sawdust as Greig Smith says

1 - 8 of 8 Posts