Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I disconnected the dipstick end of the hose (Thanks, GHNI, it was easy once the air filter top was removed!) and squirted brake cleaner in from the top till it gurgled back out at me - it's clogged. Couldn't blow it out with air, and stranded picture wire pushed in from the top was blocked about 24" down.

What's the effect of a blocked OVS drain hose?

What's a good price to have it replaced? It sounds like a real headache to install it myself. Anyone had luck duct-taping a new hose to the old hose and pulling it thru?

David O'D
Irvine CA

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
On my 84 spider that narrow hose runs under the radiator and when I pulled the engine this year I found that hose flattened by the radiator. The rubber pad the radiator sits had no more support left.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You can find the hose anywhere, just bring the old hose into an autoparts store and find something with a similar inner diameter, and have them cut the new hose to length.

You will have to jack up the front of the car and crawl under, then see how the hose routes through the front end. Route the new as best as possible, or zip tie it out the the way, etc. Just plug in each end. I had to use a small hose clamp on the dipstick tube side, as the inner diameter (ID) of my hose turned out to be a bit large.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
You can find the hose anywhere, just bring the old hose into an autoparts store and find something with a similar inner diameter, and have them cut the new hose to length.
I agree with John. Although I have a later model Spider, where the return line only runs down to the passenger side of the block (in the crankcase region), I was able to find some black Gates "vacuum" tubing at my local auto parts store that had diameters very close to that of the stock tubing.

The first photo below shows the original OVS return hose (ID=4mm, OD=8mm).

The second photo shows some reinforced Gates "PCV" hose that found at O'Reilly's that I considered using. It had a similar ID as the stock hose (4mm) but, due to the embedded reinforcing layer it had a much larger OD (10.5mm), which made it impossible to re-use the stock tubing clips.

The third photo shows the Gates "vacuum" hose that I ended up using. The ID and OD were almost identical to the stock hose and it fit snug on the OVS and crankcase nipples and accepted the original tubing clips. Not sure how well this vacuum line will hold up being in constant contact with oil, but it's been good for a year and a half so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, the Technical Service Bulletin I attached at the end details the need to include about 20cc of oil in the return hose to ensure the proper control of crankcase vapors.

Good luck,

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This BB is an excellent resource! Now I'm confident I can replace the OVS drain myself. Hopefully after the fix, my engine won't be such a leaker.

Thanks, Gentlemen!

David O'D
Irvine CA

·
Registered
969 Posts
Interesting.
I replaced that line (along with all vacuum hoses) years ago. I sure didn't add oil into the line! Anyone care to speculate if one would notice and idle or other issue with the car with/without oil in the line? Since line returns to the oil pan, it doesn't seem like the presence of vapor would make any difference.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
think of it like a trap under your sink. Not suggesting you do this...just been my experiences. my 2L has an OVS and my 1.6 does not. On the 2L the hose is just a straight shot down to the side of the block. No twists. no turns, no nothing. Car runs perfect. It is important the hose is clean tho.

To chase the old one out while fitting the new, take a woodscrew kinda joiner and plug the new one to the old one and gently pull. If doing this, I'd make sure the new hose is a bit longer so you have some room to fiddle with.

If the car isn't a leaker, something is wrong. Ciao, chris

·
Registered
459 Posts
If the car isn't a leaker, something is wrong. Ciao, chris

Something new Alfa owners need to learn.

If the Alfa is not leaking oil then you probably need to add 7 qts. of oil to the engine. >:)

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Interesting.
I replaced that line (along with all vacuum hoses) years ago. I sure didn't add oil into the line! Anyone care to speculate if one would notice and idle or other issue with the car with/without oil in the line? Since line returns to the oil pan, it doesn't seem like the presence of vapor would make any difference.
I doubt it. As noted the newer cars don't have a trap, it's just a straight shot and the OVS canister itself is identical. Besides that as oil drains through normal usage it will fill the low point anyway so if there were any noticeable effects they would only be temporary.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
been giving this a bit of thought. If the drain hose is blocked, it is possible, the OVS will eventually fill with oily gook and be ingested into the engine thru the larger hose(s). Not good.

Somewhere around here I have a bumper type sticker that says "My Alfa doesn't leak, it sweats" or something to that effect. Ciao, chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts