Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the original application for a large iron two piston caliper that bolts onto the front spindles of a 115 series car, and that has the number "33" embossed on the side of the caliper near where the brake line connects?

I need to rebuild the calipers and don't know where/how to get replacement seals, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

TA
(OldAlfaguy)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi,
They're probably VW Bus/Transporter calipers, it's a fairly normal swap when using the 3.5" (later) uprights. But I can't be definite about this as I haven't had them myself.
/Neil

·
Registered
816 Posts
Calipers?

Aren't these just the standard 2L caliper? What makes them over sized? What pad do they use? The standard Alfa caliper has 48MM pistons and the kit is easily available.
KG
Alfas Unlimited

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
My Duetto has the VW buss front calipers and the pads are about 20% larger than ther Alfa ones !
To replace pads, go to your parts store with your old pads and match up new ones.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like 101/105 Guy says, the calipers are larger, and so are the pads. Quite a bit larger.

After searching the online parts web sites, it looks like the VW Van/Transporter from 73 thru 85 used either an Ate or a Girling caliper, not changing thru the years.

The VW Ate caliper piston is 54 mm, larger than the Alfa front caliper piston at 48 mm.

Thanks for the help.

OldAlfaGuy

·
Registered
816 Posts
pads?

Is the pad just wider, or does it overhang the outside of the rotor?
Any idea how much heavier the caliper is than stock 2L?
KG

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keith,

I'll weigh a caliper when I have them off the car, and take some measurements on the pads. They appear to be wider, not sticking out beyond the rotor.

Ted
(OldAlfaGuy)

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Here's a little better pic.......
Don't worry about the extra weight. You're not running at LeMans this year are you ??

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
So would these calipers be a direct bolt on replacement for the standard caliper on an S2 Spider?

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I think so. You may have to play around with the brake line/hose assembly.

Shop the Internet. I found some great pricing for rebuilt units, even paying the core charge they are still a bargain. And some come "loaded" (with pads).

OldAlfaGuy

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, i bought '71 Transporter calipers and they seem to fit the stock '74 GTV pads and stock '74 GTV rotor. however, the brake line attachment location is 90deg off from the stock GTV. anyone got a pic of how they ran the lines? i'm conflicted whether to run the flex line directly into the caliper (seems like it puts significant flex into the line, or trying to run a new hard line from the caliper to the flex... (though the obvious location seems to interfere w/ the flex line locations). any suggestions?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
some bmw too - don't have the details here tho'

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes i have the ATE pot calipers on my 105 from an old 5or7 series and they bolt straight on, i use montreal vented discs with small 5mm spacer and all is great. Depends on which model bmw and year as they are different sizes.

·
Registered
558 Posts
GTVGuy,
Generally I think you should *not* run a flex line into a caliper, it's a good way of having it loosen. Better is to emulate the factory, use a hard line "pigtail" into the caliper, and secure the end of the flex line at a bracket with a jam nut. Yes, you probably can re-bend the existing pigtail I would guess.
My 2 cents at least.
Neil

·
Registered
36 Posts
thanks, i think i've got it figured out. however, one of those straight blade screws that retain the rotor onto the hub is frozen in place and i've almost munched the screw. any suggestions? i've WD40'd it for the past 2 days and nothing.

thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I usually have good success using the hand held impact screwdriver. The one that you hit the end with a hammer and it puts a twisting motion on the screw.
Got mine at Sears.....

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heat the area good with a propane torch. Then tap around it with a brass hammer to help break things loose in there. Works every time for me.

OldAlfaGuy

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Impact driver from Harbor Freight worked for me. I then replaced the screws with new ones... coated with anti-seize.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts