Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there my 91 164L has been overheating and I'm hoping that someone could help find out what's the problem.

I've let the car idle for awhile and noticed that the fan never turns on even when the temperature light turns on. I followed Steve's guide on checking the fan and I was able to get both the high and low speed going. I didn't test the A/C switches since the A/C hasn't worked since I've bought the car. Anyways I tested by using the connectors at the front. The relays clicked and the fan does turn on.

So I'm just wondering what could be the problem. I'm not very experienced when it comes to figuring out the problem but hopefully with your guys help I can get my alfa going again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
If you got the fan to run by jumpering the switch in the side of the radiator( if that's what you mean by following Steve's guide), then likely the switch is bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Richard

Yes I jumped the wires on the side of the radiator to get the fan to run. What exactly do you mean by the switch in other words what name should I use to look it up.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
Hi Richard

Yes I jumped the wires on the side of the radiator to get the fan to run. What exactly do you mean by the switch in other words what name should I use to look it up.

Thanks
The coolant fan 2-speed thermal switch is the switch in the side tank of the radiator.

This is what it looks like for your 12v model. This one appears to be missing copper sealing washer.

Alfa Romeo 164 E' 155 Fan Switch OE | eBay

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
Hi Steve

Thanks for showing me how it looks. One more question. Would the ones on rock auto work with my alfa. They seem to be cheaper there and I'm kind of on a tight budget.
More Information for VALEO 819749

Thanks for the help
While that one may work they don't have it in stock as when they say stocked in outlying warehouse that means in Europe.

This one it same as one in car and appears to be available: More Information for CAMBIARE VE709074 Click n info to see picture of it.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The fan switch from a 85-90 VW Golf fits. Available at any auto parts store. Probably about $15-20. However, the connector won't fit so you'll have to put some spade terminals on the connections. You can probably get a new connector as well from the same store, and just splice it into the OEM harness.

The one you reference from Rock Auto is not correct. It looks to be only a single speed rather than two speed switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright I was able to get a switch from a 1990 golf at a nearby store. My problem now is that I have no idea which way to connect the wires from the switch to the fan. There's no markings on the switch.

The one on the right is the original and to left of it is the one I bought.

Does anyone who's used one of these switches know which way the wires have to be connected?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
I think he said a/c does not work.

As for VW switch what degree C are stamped on the switch? It should have +, 1;2 markings next to wire male blade terminals.

As for wire hook up as I remember the + marking is for black ground wire on those switch and 1 is low speed brown wire and 2 is for brown-white high speed wire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think he said a/c does not work.

As for VW switch what degree C are stamped on the switch? It should have +, 1;2 markings next to wire male blade terminals.

As for wire hook up as I remember the + marking is for black ground wire on those switch and 1 is low speed brown wire and 2 is for brown-white high speed wire.
It has 95-85 C and 102-92 C stamped on it. I found another post that agrees with what you're saying about the wire hook up but my switch has no markings on it. I've found pictures of it hooked up from the side but I can't figure out from those pictures.

For now it seems I'm stuck. Is there any way figure out which connections are which?

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
You can boil it on stove in water with multi meter set to low ohm setting with leads hooked up to one end terminal and middle one and see if you get continuity on meter when water starts to boil.

Or you can install it in radiator and hook up black ground wire to one end terminal and brown wire or white wire from old switch and see if fan comes on when temp gauge at one or two clicks above 175. If it doesn't turn on fan until temp gauge goes up farther change middle wire to other end terminal.

Might I suggest if you cut wires off your old thermal switch to cut them mid way between switch and end connector. So, that way you could still resplice them if you find out themal switch is not your problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can boil it on stove in water with multi meter set to low ohm setting with leads hooked up to one end terminal and middle one and see if you get continuity on meter when water starts to boil.

Or you can install it in radiator and hook up black ground wire to one end terminal and brown wire or white wire from old switch and see if fan comes on when temp gauge at one or two clicks above 175. If it doesn't turn on fan until temp gauge goes up farther change middle wire to other end terminal.

Might I suggest if you cut wires off your old thermal switch to cut them mid way between switch and end connector. So, that way you could still resplice them if you find out themal switch is not your problem.
I don't currently have a meter but if I'm able to get my hands on one I'll do it that way. Now the other way is there any chance of the switch being damaged if I end up connecting it incorrectly?

Also I decided to just make some wires with connectors on them instead of splicing the original. So the original switch still has all its wires and stuff.

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
No you won't hurt the switch hooking up black and brown wires as they are just grounding wires. How are you going to hook up homemade wires to factory connectors for black and two brown wires without using matching black ground wire , low speed white and high speed red wires from OEM switch to get original connectors?
Just cut off hal-length sections and crimp on female bayonet terminals to fit terminals on the VW switch.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is how the PO hooked up the VW temp sensor on one of my cars. This is looking from the "flat" side of the connector, with the little indentation in the plug on the opposite side. Fan kicks on perfectly on this car. I would assume your switch is the same...???

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is how the PO hooked up the VW temp sensor on one of my cars. This is looking from the "flat" side of the connector, with the little indentation in the plug on the opposite side. Fan kicks on perfectly on this car. I would assume your switch is the same...???
My sensor has no flat part in the outside but it does have the intent in the inside. I assume its the square notch over the middle prong that you're talking about right? If so I think I know how it should go now.

Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
My sensor has no flat part in the outside but it does have the intent in the inside. I assume its the square notch over the middle prong that you're talking about right? If so I think I know how it should go now.

Thanks
Yes, the notch/indent over the middle prong is on the far side of the plug in the picture.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts