Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Think mine is as well....on the highway no problem, but as soon as I get to my destination or sit in traffic too long the temp gauge shoots almost all the way to top...no warning lights though....thankfully it's still cold but as soon as the summer hits thats gotta stop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
By "temp switch" I assume you mean the thing that screws into the radiator, and tells the relays & fan motor when to come on. There is a discussion at: Alfa 164 Notes that suggests substituting a Volkswagen Golf switch for the Alfa part. The VW switch is less expensive, more readily available, and switches on at lower temperatures. I found one at my local German import car parts supplier (Mesa Performance in Costa Mesa, Ca.). You have to cut the wires off your Alfa switch, and crimp on connectors that attach to the terminals on the VW switch - pretty simple.

Note that these switches really contain two separate switches: one for low temperature and another for high temperature. The first turns on the fan through that resistor, producing low speed operation. Then if the coolant temperature continues to rise, the second switch turns on the other relay that bypasses the resistor, producing high speed.

Note also that that connector on the fan motor, behind the head shield, is another possible failure point. The plastic the connector is made from tends to melt, producing an intermittant connection.

Dunno where you would find a replacement resistor. Not sure if they are available new. APE might be a source for used ones.
Interesting. Does anybody know what year and model golf switch we should use? I wonder if all golf switches are high and low speed... Most years seem to have the right thread pitch but it seems only some have 3 prongs while others have 2 or 4. I think I'll try out the parts store to see if I can find a 3 prong...

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,532 Posts

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,532 Posts
Are the 40-45 amp fuse bars readily available anywhere? I noticed in one of Steve's posts that he says he uses an Alfa 40 amp....where do you get that?
Dean Russell
Trail Auto
24349 Ann Arbor Trail
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
(313) 561-3327

Or use a 45A Honda fuse bar and form to fit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I located one for a 97 vw golf turbo diesel. Guy told me it has 3 prongs so it should work.
It looks like I might have to take off the bottom rad hose to get to it. Pretty tight

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.