Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. 1995 164 LS V6 5 speed. only 68k miles. everything runs great, but the engine starts to get hot. i looked in the engine bay and saw that the eletric cooling fan is not spinning... is there a usual reason for this??

thanks!

also, these clutches are hydrolic or cable? is there a pedal adjuster? this one seems a little bit off but otherwise works great

thanks again

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys for all of the help. i appreciate it. my skill level is high enough to do whatever i need, im the type of person who does exactly what aralfa does (connect it right to the battery) but i just havent gotten to messing with it yet so i figured i would ask the experts.

i usually mess with nissan sports cars. the alfa is just a friends car. thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok. the fan motor is in good shape. works just fine with 12 volts straight from the battery. the 40 amp fuse bar is intact and reading 12v on both sides... i tried to follow steves guide and got pretty confused...

i was able to read 12 volts from the brown wire in the engine bay, and i grounded the brown wire and the fan came on.... also i checked the fan fuse under the steering wheel and got 12 volts there... oh, also checked ohms on the switch thing in the top driver side of the radiator. and it had a little more resistance than the pic in steves guide. i think his was .05 and mine was .08.

the whole cooling electrical system just seems kind of complicated for no reason... and i dont like how hot it has to be for the fans to kick on.

anyway, any suggestions? also my temp gauge is going in and out of consciousness. whats that about?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If fan only coming on high speed at high temp then low speed resistor probably bad.
the fan doesnt come on at all. but where would i find the low speed resistor?

If you grounded brown wire and fan came on then possibly the low speed resistor in fan shroud is bad. Read it out with ohm meter to verify that. If bad, bypass it for further testing of cooling fan system.
could you please tell me where the low speed resistor is exactly? and what resistance should it have?

Now to test radiator thermal switch circuit if resistor is bad, bypass resistor by jumpering brown and blue wire going to it and see if cooling fan comes on about 195F when low speed relay is grounded by thermal switch.
your talking about bypassing the thing in the top driver side of the radiator? or the one in the bottom passenger side? im not sure which one of these things does what...

Also with a/c engaged after a bit when freon pressure builds up on high side (about 210psi) fan will come on when low speed relay is again ground by a/c trinary switch if bad low speed resistor bypassed.
so with the a/c on, the fan should always turn on soon after. and if the fan doesnt turn on, the low speed resistor is bad. but im still not sure where the resistor is.

You can also jumpered brown to black wire in white connector on trinary swtich on a/c receiver dryer behind false firewall to engage low speed fan relay.
but this will only work if the low speed resistor isnt blown out? where would i find replacement resistors?

As for your temp gauge define this "also my temp gauge is going in and out of consciousness." What is happening needle not working? Red dot coming on?
the temp gauge needle will read, and then it will drop off and not read. seems to be easily affected by revving the motor. thank you very much. i hope to clear this problem up asap!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok fan works while jumping the ac trinary switch. the resistor seems fine. seems that the temp switch and or its pigtail wires are the culprit. thanks steve!

oh and the temp gauge failure was due to a loose wire on the temp sender, just as you suggested. thanks steve!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
By "temp switch" I assume you mean the thing that screws into the radiator, and tells the relays & fan motor when to come on. There is a discussion at: Alfa 164 Notes that suggests substituting a Volkswagen Golf switch for the Alfa part. The VW switch is less expensive, more readily available, and switches on at lower temperatures. I found one at my local German import car parts supplier (Mesa Performance in Costa Mesa, Ca.). You have to cut the wires off your Alfa switch, and crimp on connectors that attach to the terminals on the VW switch - pretty simple.

Note that these switches really contain two separate switches: one for low temperature and another for high temperature. The first turns on the fan through that resistor, producing low speed operation. Then if the coolant temperature continues to rise, the second switch turns on the other relay that bypasses the resistor, producing high speed.

Note also that that connector on the fan motor, behind the head shield, is another possible failure point. The plastic the connector is made from tends to melt, producing an intermittant connection.

Dunno where you would find a replacement resistor. Not sure if they are available new. APE might be a source for used ones.
Interesting. Does anybody know what year and model golf switch we should use? I wonder if all golf switches are high and low speed... Most years seem to have the right thread pitch but it seems only some have 3 prongs while others have 2 or 4. I think I'll try out the parts store to see if I can find a 3 prong...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I located one for a 97 vw golf turbo diesel. Guy told me it has 3 prongs so it should work.
It looks like I might have to take off the bottom rad hose to get to it. Pretty tight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.