Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,532 Posts

·
28,532 Posts
I've not looked at Steve's links yet, but unplug your fan and hook it directly to a battery (pull yours and take it up front or just jump from another car if you don't have a spare).
If it spins, problem is upstream. If not, you've found your problem.
Keep us informed, please.
Don't do that unless you have a spare wire harness with correct plug to fit fan motor. First off you can't get to connector without removing heat shield on motor and other end of cable is part of car's wire harness.

Read my instructions, check that fan blade will turn freely and that 40A fuse bar is not cracked and then ring out the system systematically.

·
28,532 Posts
No toe stepping problem, just feel it is pretty hard to test motor with direct hook up at motor safely without correct connector and wires.

I always check first that motor turns freely with no power, then check 40A fuse bar for cracks and then ground brown wire going to resistor in fan shroud and see if motor runs freely and doesn't have a squealing bearing.

·
28,532 Posts
I notice he also has the car listed for sale on this BB.

·
28,532 Posts
If fan only coming on high speed at high temp then low speed resistor probably bad.

If you grounded brown wire and fan came on then possibly the low speed resistor in fan shroud is bad. Read it out with ohm meter to verify that. If bad, bypass it for further testing of cooling fan system.

Now to test radiator thermal switch circuit if resistor is bad, bypass resistor by jumpering brown and blue wire going to it and see if cooling fan comes on about 195F when low speed relay is grounded by thermal switch.

Also with a/c engaged after a bit when freon pressure builds up on high side (about 210psi) fan will come on when low speed relay is again ground by a/c trinary switch if bad low speed resistor bypassed.

You can also jumpered brown to black wire in white connector on trinary swtich on a/c receiver dryer behind false firewall to engage low speed fan relay.

As for your temp gauge define this "also my temp gauge is going in and out of consciousness." What is happening needle not working? Red dot coming on?

·
28,532 Posts
Resistor is in the top corner of cooling fan shroud in area in front of cruise control actuator and below relays bolted to top radiator support.

On 24v models the radiator thermal switch is in bottom right side below alternator.

As for resistance you either have some or if bad then an open no reading.

I don't remember actual resistance reading.

Check connections on sender next to timing belt cover - 2 wires wider terminal for gauge needle and narrower one for red overtemp dot.

Black ground wire bolted to mid housing sender screwed into is ground for red light but it may also be for gauge on 24v models.

·
28,532 Posts

·
28,532 Posts
Are the 40-45 amp fuse bars readily available anywhere? I noticed in one of Steve's posts that he says he uses an Alfa 40 amp....where do you get that?
Dean Russell
Trail Auto
24349 Ann Arbor Trail
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
(313) 561-3327

Or use a 45A Honda fuse bar and form to fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.